Tropical Depression 3 AND I-96 Raking Carolinas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I-96 has been there and on this track but TD-3 just formed close-by.

JeffMasters, 11:26 PM EDT on July 18, 2008 Wunder Blog : Weather Underground
Tropical Depression Three has formed off the Southeast U.S. coast. Charleston, SC long range radar shows the slow development of a solid spiral band of thunderstorms to the southeast of the center, away from land. The storm is over waters of marginal warmth, about 27°C, a degree above the threshold of 26°C needed to sustain a tropical storm. The warm waters are very shallow, and the Tropical Cyclone Heat Potential is near zero, meaning we're unlikely to see rapid intensification of TD 3. Wind shear is about 15 knots over the storm, and is forecast to remain 10-15 knots over the next two days. There is some dry air over the Southeast U.S. that may get entrained into TD 3's circulation. TD 3 could intensify into a weak tropical storm, if the center manages to remain over water. None of the models forecast that TD 3 will intensify beyond a 50 mph tropical storm, and this is a reasonable forecast, due to the relatively cool water temperatures, moderate wind shear, and the presence of dry air nearby. Coastal areas of North Carolina are likely to get heavy rains from TD 3, but it remains to be seen if these rains will penetrate far enough inland to significantly alleviate drought conditions over the state. Heavy rains may also develop over South Carolina, but the main rain will probably remain offshore as the storm passes that state. TD 3 is unlikely to bring heavy rain to any other states, with the possible exception of Cape Cod and Nantucket, Massachusetts Monday/Tuesday.

Attachments

• TD-3.gif
    TD-3.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 67
  • TD-3 forecast.gif
    TD-3 forecast.gif
    30.7 KB · Views: 85
  • i-96.gif
    i-96.gif
    29.8 KB · Views: 56
Yep, TD-3 seems to have joined up with I-96 and is expected to make T-Storm status today. Time to batten down the hatches on NC's Emerald Coast....?

Attachments

• TD-3.gif
    TD-3.gif
    29.4 KB · Views: 51
  • TD-3 forecast.gif
    TD-3 forecast.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 64
Upgraded and now known as Tropical Storm Cristobal

If Cris veers off to the lower right, wonder if she could pick up power before hitting the Canaries or are those the Azores...?

Attachments

• Tropical Storm Cristobal.gif
    Tropical Storm Cristobal.gif
    31 KB · Views: 63
  • Tropical Storm Cristobal 2.gif
    Tropical Storm Cristobal 2.gif
    36.1 KB · Views: 54
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom