Ordered my first speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just placed an order for an AB Biller 48 and a 5'7" JBL Breakdown polespear from LP. The Biller is for me and the polespear is for a buddy. Will be shooting various types of cod on a local wreck, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Tips for a beginner? We'll probably shooting multiple fish while we're on the wreck, so what's the best way to hold the dead ones? Just a regular fish stringer?

A metal fish stringer like the one here
516stringer.jpg

spearfishing gear, spearfishing equipment, spearguns, shop online carries them.

Check out this page, it is designed with Gulf of Mexico spearing but alot still carries over.

Deep wrecks, big fish = Float bag
Sharks = Float bag

Otherwise - stringer as shown is perfect

Zip-lock baggie 2 gallon size, fillet while down less mess to deal with on the surface, then put in goodie bag, or dine while on the wreck. try it and you-tube for us to see.

stringer like above then unscrew tip, yank out, screw on and shoot again.

Happy Diving

I made my stringer out of stainless number 9 wire from ACE hardware, extra big for extra easy. Just get enough to bend into any shape you want. If on scuba attach to float line if free diving like me attach to very short float line and let it float around while you go fish.

Zip-lock baggie 2 gallon size, fillet while down less mess to deal with on the surface, then put in goodie bag, or dine while on the wreck. try it and you-tube for us to see.

:rofl3: I like this idea!

Thanks for the advice... not sure now if I'll make the planned wreck dive, but there are also plenty of shore dives here with some BIG ling cod! :D

Yea, Good luck on the slayen of your lingcod, your season is probably long ,bein in your waters.

I can go to Nea bay and shoot some yet this year, as our season is short, Funny thing at fishermans terminal last friday I had alaska lingcod for the first time YUMMMMMMMY.

Fill me in on how the AB 48 does, and have gotten a place to shoot Halibut in your area.

Happy Diving

stringer like above then unscrew tip, yank out, screw on and shoot again.

Happy Diving

In some states it is illegal to fillet fish until you reach land.

If you're on the ocean floor, could you argue that you're on "land"? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom