uwatec digital depth/timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajharrison

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, as you can see - I'm new to this forum, and also new to this fantastic sport!!

I'm training in Northern Ireland, UK to get my BSAC Ocean Diver certificate, and am going on a dive trip on 18th April which should get me my first 3 or 4 open water dives towards the qualification. I need to get a depth gauge and a watch/timer. I have been doing a lot of reading and talking to people, and dont see much point in buying two separate devices. On the other hand, at this stage I dont want to go to the extra expense of a dive computer. I have been looking at the uwatec digital depth/timer and it seems to be just what I need. Once I get more dives under my belt and qualify as a Sports Diver I could then consider getting a dive computer and still use the bottom timer as a back-up?

I would appreciate any advice/views on the uwatec digital/alternate (similarly priced) models, etc from people who know a lot more about this than I do!! :eek:)

Anyway, I shall await in eager anticipation for your replies!! Im enjoying reading through all the other topics and info anyway!!

All the best,

Andy

'Bout all you can say really. Well made, gives you the data you need. Being Uwatec, costs too much :)

There are a couple threads here about the B/T if you do a search. Yes, it would also work well as a backup should you go to a computer.

Welcome to the board.

MD

ajharrison once bubbled...
I have been looking at the uwatec digital depth/timer and it seems to be just what I need. Once I get more dives under my belt and qualify as a Sports Diver I could then consider getting a dive computer and still use the bottom timer as a back-up?
Andy I bought one to use as a back-up... but I still haven't used it.

As for computers... if you get the right kind of experience under your belt... you won't need one.

Computers will rot your brain. Start with the Uwatec Bottom Timer/Depth Gauge and stick with it.

If you do end up getting a computer make sure that it has a *gauge mode* so that you can use it as a bottom timer/depth gauge.

That is how I use my Suunto Stinger.

BTW... Saturday I did a trimix dive followed an hour later by a multilevel nitrox dive... without using a dive computer... just the Stinger *timer/depth gauge* :D

Learn to use your tables.

Thanks for the replies - I think even though I have no experience of computers (or of anything yet actually!?), I would always tend to prefer to use my brain, and use the computer to back it up rather than the other way round!! :eek:) I'll have to go and check out some prices at my local dive shops. I could order online, but I need to make sure I get it in time for next month, and also, I guess it would be much better to build up some kind of 'raport' with local dive shops :eek:)

Andy

Hmmm...allies.....as I delay going to bed until 1am so that I can hear Mr Bush 'declare war' on Iraq, I am dismayed at this dire situation...however, a debate on whether war is justified or not could get rather out of hand!? :eek:)

It was simplyscuba.com where I saw the uwatec, but I need to make sure I get in within a month, so wasnt sure if I should order online. However, if you got delivery to the USA in a few days then I shouldnt have a problem!! I'll see what offers I can get in my local dive shops and then decide where to buy one!! :eek:)

Andy

Thanks Lemonade!!

I checked out the site and the uwatec costs £60, whereas on simplyscuba.com it costs £72. Interesting indeed!! I'll see if I can use that to twist my local dive shop's arm!! :eek:)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
...build raport.

I am trying to build stronger ties with our allies and so I bought mine from www.simplyscuba.com in the UK and with shipping it came to less than $90 (US) and was on my doorstep within days.

I bought my stinger there. too. Same service~very prompt..

Sorry UP, I still use mine in computer mode.

But I'm usually diving air, and I still try to stay pretty close to the table (wheel). I trust it, but only about so far. I like the ability to download the profile.

That'll be done when I move to adv nitox/deco though, huh?

Back
Top Bottom