so many options, so little time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference when it comes to choosing a wetsuit. I mean, there are so many different options to choose from: flat stitch, blind stitch, triple glued, neopreme blend, RUBATEX, glideskin, titanium lined, neck seal, ankle zipper, spine pad, plush lined, hyperstretch, and last but not least, best suit on the market. I want to go diving and stay as warm as possible. I still want to stay with a wetsuit. I'm interested in a 7mm jumpsuit. I dive primarily off the Calif. coast at Monterey. The water there is 45-50 degrees year around.
To make things worst on my indecisiveness, none of the dealers or shops tell me any more than, "You won't go wrong with this suit." HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
HELP THE VIKING DIVE.
:confused: :bonk::livid: :loopy: :grrr:

rubatex 231 (?) is supposed to "the best".

more important that (almost) any other consideration
when choosing a wet suit is FIT. regardless of the
contruction or quality of neoprene a poorly fitting
suit will not keep you as warm as a better fitting
but perhaps not as high quality suit.

in order to reduce water 'leakage' stitching, ideally, should not penetrate all way through. try to avoid a "plush"
lining: they feel nice but don't help all that much to
keep you warm. "in the old days" prior to nylon linings
and such divers would use talc, cornstarch, etc to lubricate
themselves and/or the suit for entry. snug seals around
the ankles and wrists are effective at reducing flow-
through.

SV,
My first Instructor had a [red]"Custom"[/red] Wetsuit made for him with Rubatex Neoprene in 7mm. Because of Rubatex being stiffer, when he moved it would pump water. He says he is more comfortable in his BARE 5/3 fullsuit. I took his advice. I have BARE suits in 3/2,and 5/3. I plan on buying a 7mm also.I think they are a great suit and they are priced nice at Leisure Pro.

I remember going through the same thing. There are a lot of choices out there.

Happy hunting,Tavi

But if you don't want to go dry. One with a proper fit and slide skin interior, or comprable. And throw in a hooded shorty.

Get a drysuit! In fact, get two if you're diving in water that cold. :cold:

I had my first taste of cold water diving this past weekend, 70 degrees. That was so cold I couldn't catch my breath. On 3rd thought get the 7mm and two drysuits or move to Cozumel whichever is cheaper.

Dive anywhere between 32 degrees and 85 degree water temp. Just change your undergarments.
Always wear at least sweats. Drysuits tend to pinch if you don't.
Last about 3 times as long as a wetsuit also. Probably 2 to 3 times the cost though.
Can even wear street clothes under them and not worry about changing. Not really suggested but did it last week. I was running late so Just jumped into it in my Jeans and tshirt. Also had Undergarment on too. Kinda cold at 100 feet. Around 42 degrees. Fine in the drysuit though.

Jimbo, we found 60 degrees when Corsair and I hit the bottom of the lake at 85 ft. And I was fine in my 3-mil, gloves, and beanie (after I got used to it).

But I definitely see a dry suit in my future since I'd love to dive the Texas lakes in the winter. I'd just about have the entire lake to myself! And a friend with nearly 1000 dives has convinced me that dry suits are more "utilitarian" (aka you can go just about anywhere but equatorial waters with them).

Several years ago, I was faced with a real delima, had a date at 8pm with Betty Jean at the social event of the year (new John Deer dealership was opening up and we we were invited for the gala event) and a dive buddy of mine called and was telling me about this terrific new dive site he found.

So what's a guy to to? Hmmmmmmmmmmm (thought process) Ah, Went to dive gear and got out the trusty dry suit!

Here I am all dress to the nines in my rented tux, set of tails with a (you guessed it) John Deer Green cumberbund and polished boots.

Boy I am looking good.

Jumped into truck and off to to the dive site, put drysuit on over tux and off me and Bill Joe Jr. went got into water at 5 pm, after a dive of 1 hour and 10 min we surface. Take off dry suit and hop into truck and it's off to Betty Jean's.

Only problem is tux is now wrinkled....hmmmmmmm(thought process again). Ah, no problem, reach behind seat, find can of Bud Light, open can and put on floor by heater outlet, turn on heater to full blast, beer turns to steam, wrinkles fall out and I am looking good again.

Arrive at Betty Jean's looking good except for the smell of Bud Light, no problem look under seat, find can of "No Bath", spray myself down and it's off to the social event of the year.

ID

A wasted mind is a terrible thing!

Did you have Tom Arnold outside in the surveilance truck yelling in your ear about not doing the "Redneck Tango"?

Back
Top Bottom