Sharm El Sheikh in late august?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Im Seriously contemplating a trip to Sharm El Sheikh 25th-31st of august. What I've been looking into is Continental Garden Reef Hotel and I'll probably be traveling with a non-diving, female friend.
With regards to this I have a couple of questions about the area in general.
How is the climate in Egypt at the end of august and how is the diving at that time?
Is there any interesting day sightseeing trips for non-divers in the area?
As I'll probably be traveling with a non-diver I will only be able to do day trips as far as diving goes, is there any ops nearby that offer "must-see" day trip dives? Im generally more interested in big creatures than small ones.

Any dive ops, feel free to contact me on PM with regards to this area if you have any good ideas :wink:

How is the climate in Egypt at the end of august and how is the diving at that time?
Is there any interesting day sightseeing trips for non-divers in the area?
As I'll probably be traveling with a non-diver I will only be able to do day trips as far as diving goes, is there any ops nearby that offer "must-see" day trip dives? Im generally more interested in big creatures than small ones.

It will be oppressively hot.
There is a ridge of mountains that runs across the back of Sharm that prevents the wind from bringing the temperature down like in Dahab.
The only real respite is when you are on a boat.

There are a lot of companies out there that will offer day trips, but there are a lot that leave from a place called Na'ama Bay jetty. It is a bun fight every morning.

I would suggest you get in contact with Umbi Sharks Bay Hotel. (Private jetty, much more relaxed)
It is very close to the airport (But you wouldnt know it) it is out of the main area of Sharm, so you are not susceptible to the hawkers and the taxi idiots.
You can get taxis to Sharm very easily if you want to subject yourself to purgatory.

From Sharks Bay, the Straits of Tiran are very close (30-45 mins away)
Tiran, in my opinion is better than the more lauded Shark Reef/Yolanda Reef of Ras Mohammed.
I have seen whale sharks (3 weeks ago) hammerheads, silky and even 3 tiger sharks 4 years ago were there for 3 weeks.
The hotel is spotlessly clean, the staff are very friendly, and the apres-dive atmosphere is chilled and relaxed.

Day trips from Sharks Bay can be done, just talk to the hotel.
You could be brave and hire a car and then look around the area yourself.
But you have camel safaris, jeep safaris, trips to Dahab, to St Catherines monastery.

Loads of stuff to do.

FYI I have nothing to do with Umbi except I was there as a tourist.
I took a holiday from being a diving instructor - and went diving!! lmao

How sad.

I work in Dahab and there are a couple of good sites there too, but Tiran is the place!

Good luck

Last edited:
I agree with Belushi it will be unbelievably hot! I was there end of June, it was already 40 C. Water temp however was 26 C, it will be a couple degrees warmer in August, excellent for a 3 mm shorty or skin. I suggest your non diver friend go with you on the same boat snorkeling every day - honestly it is too hot on the beach or by the pool. Try Divers International headquartered in the Sofitel. I went with them and was very happy with the service and professionalism. They go out of Sharks Bay as well. Your day trips run from about 8am to 3pm. Not familiar with the hotel suggested but sounds good.

Im no longer contemplating making this trip...
Its been booked :D

Now I just have to sort out some practicalities like finding a decent dive shop and where to place the non-diving friend thats coming along with me for the couple of days ill be diving :p

Oonas dive centre. I dived with them most weeknds for a year. You cannot beat them on many counts - one of the oldest/most established and Brit run. Prices are the same all over Sharm. Your non diver companion may want to consider a trip up the wadi, or the dawn climb up Mount Siani if she is fit.

Back
Top Bottom