The "manliness" of a DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mello-yellow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Several years ago my brother-in-law flew off that stereotypical manly toy -- a motorcycle. Whereupon my wife asked me never to ride one. I told her not to worry -- the closest I would ever come to riding a motorcycle is a DPV (I did not have one back then).

Yesterday, as I was cleaning my scooter after a dive, I recalled that incident and thought "Is scooter a manly toy?" Consider...

1. It is bullet-shaped
2. It is battery-powered
3. Before every use you must put a generous layer of silicone grease on it (specifically onto something called "inner cone")
4. After using it you must wipe off the grease and thoroughly wash the whole device
5. It will only work if it is moist -- otherwise all it does is make an irritating whine

Hmm...

Last edited:
At the risk of being moderated, I believe you have made the case that it's a "womanly" toy.

All the best, James

:eyebrow: That is funny!

Several years ago my brother-in-law flew off that stereotypical manly toy -- a motorcycle. Whereupon my wife asked me never to ride one. I told her not to worry -- the closest I would ever come to riding a motorcycle is a DPV (I did not have one back then).

Yesterday, as I was cleaning my scooter after a dive, I recalled that incident and thought "Is scooter a manly toy?" Consider...

1. It is bullet-shaped
2. It is battery-powered
3. Before every use you must put a generous layer of silicone grease on it (specifically onto something called "inner cone")
4. After using it you must wipe off the grease and thoroughly wash the whole device
5. It will only work if it is moist -- otherwise all it does is make an irritating whine

Hmm...

I guess that's why some women prefer to "ride" their scooter instead of being towed by it?

:rofl3:

tusa_sav7_evo.jpg

I've used a variety of DPV's since the early 90's held out in front. I would clip into my Dive Rite harness when SCUBA diving or use a tee seat when free diving to ease arm fatigue and allow one handed operation when equalizing.

Since I started using the sit on top Apollo Evolution about a year ago there is no comparison and I would be reluctant to go back. The hands free operation, easy fin steering are excellent particularly for filming. It takes no real exertion. Haven't used it much SCUBA diving aside from with a pony bottle for a free diving safety stop at the end of a day of deeper scooter free diving.

I admit, it can look funny but the advantages sit on top conveys out weigh them in my view. Good for girls or guys!

Here's are two clips of the same sequence taken by two divers on Saturday at around 80 - 90 ft..

Hillsboro Ledge on Vimeo
clip of a scootering freediver passing by.... on Vimeo

Last edited:
I've used a variety of DPV's since the early 90's held out in front. I would clip into my Dive Rite harness when SCUBA diving or use a tee seat when free diving to ease arm fatigue and allow one handed operation when equalizing.

Since I started using the sit on top Apollo Evolution about a year ago there is no comparison and I would be reluctant to go back. The hands free operation, easy fin steering are excellent particularly for filming. It takes no real exertion. Haven't used it much SCUBA diving aside from with a pony bottle for a free diving safety stop at the end of a day of deeper scooter free diving.

I admit, it can look funny but the advantages sit on top conveys out weigh them in my view. Good for girls or guys!

Here's are two clips of the same sequence taken by two divers on Saturday at around 80 - 90 ft..

Hillsboro Ledge on Vimeo
clip of a scootering freediver passing by.... on Vimeo

so,, you got any old scooters for sale?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom