Sherwood Wisdom computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Ok, I'm not looking forward to dropping large for a computer, but I think I'm just going to bite the bullet here.....

I've not seen much feedback or information the the Wisdom computers. Seems to have a lot of good features including AI. Anyone have one or used one? I can't tell if they can be wrist mounted or not.

I played with one at DEMA and it is set up really nicely. (a SUUNTO Cobra clone of sorts). The buttons and menus are easy to navigate with and the displays are easy to read.

At the time they had not actually done any in water dive testing of them and I got it to lock up by using the menu system. If they fixed that and they field tested good, not a bad computer for the price.

Not sure if they are still running a DSAT brain, (Sherwood tends to use that) if so it may be a little on the agressive side. But all in all I liked what I saw.

Thanks for the info crazyc, just wondering now if it would be worthwhile going to the Suunto cobra. Prices don't seem to be that different. Or maybe go with a Vytec. What to do......

wlo93 once bubbled...
Ok, I'm not looking forward to dropping large for a computer, but I think I'm just going to bite the bullet here.....

I've not seen much feedback or information the the Wisdom computers. Seems to have a lot of good features including AI. Anyone have one or used one? I can't tell if they can be wrist mounted or not.

I have not had a chance to dive one yet but I have been able to fool around with it some on dry land. It's manufactured for Sherwood by Palagic (aka Oceanic) so it's very similar to the Datamax Pro Plus 2 and it's Aeris equivalent (it's name is not jumping out at me right now.) It has a few more features though and a really cool dive planning function. It is very similar in appearance to the Suunto Cobra but it is just a bit bigger but easier to use than the Suunto. If I was to buy an air integrated computer anytime in the near future it would probably be The Wisdom (or the SP/Uwatec Smartcom)

I'm considering the Sherwood Wisdom as well, but can't find any information about the computer interface or logging software that comes with it.

If anyone has any input on these matters, I'd sure be glad to hear it.

Thanks,

BW

I purchased the wisdom in Jan. of 2003 when it was first available. Since then I've made about 50 dives with it, and so far I love it. The large display is great, and all the information they cram on the screens is amazing. I have the quick disconnect model, and it has proven to come in handy. The only complaint I have is that I have not been able to obtain the computer software. I have only had experience with the Uwatec computers prior to the Sherwood, and if I had it to do over again I would still go with the Sherwood.

I bought an early serial numbered Wisdom in Jan 03 and put 84 dives on it before it died. 2 of the 3 early Wisdoms sold by my LDS have had to be sent in and I suspect there was a minor bug stemming from an overly fast rush to production although Sherwood has never really stated a reason for the problems.

The good news is that replacement is swift and no hassle (unlike Uwatec with their complicated approval process and 3 month time frame required to swap the 6000 or so computers they have recalled). I sent my Wisdom in last week and the concensus is that I should have it back by the end of this week.

The download software has been promised to be just around the corner for several months but has none the less remained on backorder since January.

Still depsite these teething problems, it's a great computer. It has excellent planning and simulation functions, displays dive time to 190 ft in planning mode and can go to 330 ft in simulation mode. It will accomodate Nitrox up to 50% and can switch back and forth from air to nitrox mode with no problems or limitations.

It has a maximum depth of 330 ft (399 ft in gauge mode), accomodates deco stops to 70 ft and is fairly liberal in terms of bottom time, offering more dive time at deeper depths than the US Navy tables, and yet is very conservative in terms of ascent time and saftey stops. It shows total ascent time and the air integration takes deco obligations into account. It has a multitude of alarms (all of which can be deactivated) and reserve and turn around air pressures are user adjustable.

The numbers on the display are large and easy to read at depth and the layout and interface is quite intuitve and easy to use. The battery is user replaceable and can be obtained at the local Wal-Mart.

I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

Hey guys!

Some myth to debunk.

1) Pelagic and Oceanic are not the same company as everybody seems to misunderstand. They are OWNED by the same parent Corportation, but are 2 totally seperate and different companies. Oceanic submits for what it wants in it's gear the same as any other company that deals with Pelagic, such as Sherwood, Genesis, Aeris, and in the past, Dacor and US Divers/Aqualung.

Similar relationship to Genesis/Sherwood, Aqualung/Seaquest, Dacor/Mares and others. It's not a new thing in scuba.

2) The Wisdom is FAR from a Cobra Clone. For starters the Cobra is a Suunto Product. The Wisdom is a Pelagic Pressure Systems product. Different software and functions. It's appearance similarity is a coincidence, but after that, the computers are very different.

3 Lastly, DA... glad to hear you got your computer back. I am not seeing a great deal of these back, but I never heard where your's was coming from so I didn't get to keep an eye out for it.

Enjoy everybody!

It's not back yet. But the LDS (Mick's Scuba Center) thinks it should be back by the end of the week as replacement of the last one he sent in was quite prompt.

Back
Top Bottom