story on Jesus statue off key largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadog76

Reaction score
Just got back to minneapolis after a long dive trip (and a longer drive) and one thing I was unable to get a straight answer on was the story behind a sunken jesus statue off of Key largo. It had the name plate of Krevorkian or something similar to that. Some one on our boat thought that it had ties to some one with the Cressi co. and that there are 2 others like it elsewhere. Can somebody answer this so I can finally put my log book away? Thanks, S.dog76

Spectre once bubbled...
Run a search for "Christ of the Deep" on yahoo, and you'll probably get plenty of info.

Start with This story

I researched Christ of the Deep extensively for my second book. The full history is detailed there. The link Jeff gives here gives an accurate, if somewhat incomplete history.

There are 3 statues, the first is Christ of the Abyss in the Med off Italy, Christ of the Deep is the second, the third is, I think, off Mexico. The original purpose of the statue was rather morbid, to keep drowned sailors company and to provide a place where the living and the dead might gather. The original dedication, quite hauntingly beautiful, is in my book (I don't have a copy here or I would post it, maybe tonight).

The memorial plaque is for Mike Kevorkian, a local dive pioneer who helped choose the spot where the statue would be placed. Another plaque to Mike is on the wreck of the Tarpoon off Miami (named after Mike's shop which his daughters still run in Miami). Spencer Slate was primarily responsible for getting the plaque added to the statue.

Before it was sunk the statue sat for a time in legendary treasure hunter Art McKee's treasure museum. During my research I was privledged to meet Art's daughter Karen who became a friend. One of the greatest memories of doing the book was spending an afternoon sitting in the late Capt. McKee's living room with his daughter and going through box after box of his diving and family pictures. Karen helped me tremendously.

WW

That would really be weird finding that thing if you didn't know about it beforehand :)

I can just imagine cruising along when all a sudden..."What the HECK?!"

Omicron once bubbled...
That would really be weird finding that thing if you didn't know about it beforehand :)

I can just imagine cruising along when all a sudden..."What the HECK?!"

You find the site by looking for the parking lot of boats :)

WW

Divemaster Ben from Aqua Nuts was doing a briefing before one dive.
He was giving us the usual information, direction, current, depth, etc. Just as he was winding down he looked at us all very seriously and said, "if you want to have the religious experience of a lifetime, swim up to the statue, grab it and hug it very tightly, It is covered with fire coral and you will see God." Everyone had a nice laugh but no religous experiences.

WreckWriter - I take it's kind of a well known sight, huh? :wink:

LeadCarrier - that is definitely one religious experience I would avoid at all costs.

Lead_carrier once bubbled...
Divemaster Ben from Aqua Nuts was doing a briefing before one dive.
He was giving us the usual information, direction, current, depth, etc. Just as he was winding down he looked at us all very seriously and said, "if you want to have the religious experience of a lifetime, swim up to the statue, grab it and hug it very tightly, It is covered with fire coral and you will see God." Everyone had a nice laugh but no religous experiences.

Well, I won't say he stole the idea but that's a common briefing joke. in truth I've had divers come up with fire coral burns on their chests, arms, and even lips from doing that very thing.

WW

Back
Top Bottom