aircraft underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theslyfox01

Contributor
Reaction score
Brisbane, Australia. Though I'd rather be home in
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering what aircraft people have dived around/inside during their time, I've always loved the idea of diving around a downed helicopter, or inside a WW2 Zero, or getting into a larger aircraft like a passenger liner and having a look around, anyone got any good stories or places to try on the subject?

:)

Viscount cockpit (or whatever it was) and Wessex at Stony Cove in the UK count. The Wessex was very interesting last time I was there (about 2.5 years ago) because it had been dived recently by an aircraft maintenance person who had left behind a lamenated damage report!

Other than that just the planes in and around USS Saratoga - not very up on WWII US planes - check out Planes

Jonathan

MgicTwnger once bubbled...
Mermet Springs, a quarry in southern Illinois, has a Boeing 727. Very cool!
Their web site is: http://www.mermetsprings.com/

A 727!!!! Wow, that must be an interesting swim! Will have to check it out next time I drive through that way.

DD

Gilboa Quarry in Ohio has a Grumman Gulfstar (diver friendly) in just over 30ffw. Was freshly painted in "Gilboa Airlines" colours just before sinking. :D

In south florida they have a large plane i think they call it "marriot reef or plane".

There are also some WW2 tanks sunk too. I think off the wreck trek.

Never dove either but the pictures i have seen of them look kewl.

The bottom of Lake Michigan is littered with a number of WW2 era planes, mostly "Avenger" Torpedo Bomber/Fighters, thanks to the training programs based at Navy Pier.

Most of the locations are closely guarded secrets, but here's a link to the remnants of one that isn't:

TBF Avenger

Steven

The artificial reef society of BC is planning on sinking a 737 in the Vancouver area.

Boeing 737 Prep

I know of a small plane in an Alpine lake that has never been dove. It's around a 20 km (13 mile) hike and the dive is in a glacial fed (read murky and no vis most times of the year) lake at 2200 m (7200'). Does anyone want to go?

PS must supply own helicopter.

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...
The artificial reef society of BC is planning on sinking a 737 in the Vancouver area.

Boeing 737 Prep

<snip>

It was cancelled because of a lack of funding ($60,000 CAN) on March 14.

It looks like they are trying to find a way to get some cash out of the BC dive industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom