Oceanic Prodigy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm sitting with an Oceanic Prodigy on my desk which a colleague brought to the office today. He has given up diving some years ago and it has just been gathering dust in his attic. Unfortunately the batteries are flat so I'll have to replace them before I can see anything but I thought this forum might have some thoughts to share.

Anyone familiar with the Prodigy? What can you tell me about it? I'm going diving this weekend (can't wait) so I'll take it with and see how it performs anyway but what can you guys tell me about the Oceanic Prodigy? It seems like a fairly basic and old dive computer.

Two things it lack is the ability to download dive profiles to the PC and air integration, the latter not really being that important to me although it woulda been nice. Ultimately I do think that I would want a computer with dive profile downloading but this might be a good redundancy computer then. Notwithstanding, I have the opportunity now to try out this computer and decide whether I want it or not.

If I were to make an offer on an old Oceanic Prodigy how much do you think I should offer?

aren't you happy with your suunto?

aren't you happy with your suunto?

The Suunto Mosquito is awesome and yes, I love it. It has one MAJOR flaw though which is that it is my wife's computer and not mine :wink: I can wrestle it off her wrist at the risk of having my nose broken.

But seriously, we didn't want to fork out that much money at once so we bought only the one computer which is understood to be hers and agreed that I'd get a computer at some later stage. It's still a bit early and we can't afford a D9 just yet (not sure we ever will), which is why I'm considering this option.

Well from the little searching I've done, they seem to sell for anything between $100 and $150, so if you could get if for about R800, it could be a good deal (assuming it works and you can replace the battery)

Heck, at that price I'd even consider putting it into my console and replacing the depth gauge, effectively giving me a backup computer

Good idea. I think I may be in for a good deal then. We haven't spoken money yet but seeing as he's given up diving altogether and almost couldn't find this computer when he wanted to, I get the impression he might not really be after the money. I mean R500 will be R500 more than what he'd have otherwise ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom