Bunaken Cha Cha advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeqP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My girlfriend and I are heading to N. Sulawesi next month. We are testing options currently for our stay on the Bunaken side. We are booked in Manado and will have to take a boat out to Bunaken. Here’s the story, my girlfriend is not a diver, but loves to snorkel. We are interested in people’s opinions of resorts on Bunaken Island. Has anyone stayed at Bunaken Cha Cha? If so, can you provide your feedback on the resort, staff, diving, and snorkeling? Currently, if we stay in Manado, my girlfriend will stay at the hotel pool while I dive in the morning. If we stay on Bunaken, she would be able to snorkel while I dive. If she is snorkeling, we will both be happy! :)

On a side note, while on the Lembah Strait side, are there any “must do” top side activities that people can recommend?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Phil

Are you planning on going from the main land with a dive operation based on the mainland , or going out to Bunaken and get a dive op there.

though there is a public ferry from Manado to Bunaken, the schedule is not set up to get you to a dive op at Buanken on time from the mainland and private boats would be expensive. Better to stay on Bunaken, Your non diving girlfriend can get certified in about 4 days on Bunaken. The dive boats will take snorkelers, they will drop the divers off and then move to a suitable snorkeling place. there is not much to do in Manado or in Bitung (closest town to Lembeh). Other things to do in North Sulawesi is the national park (birds , small primate called the Tariser) near Lembeh, best done on the day before you fly (dusk, dawn forest walks).

Most Buanken based resorts have small boats going to Manado every day to pick up drop off new guests and for shopping for food and supplies. If you girlfriend wants to take day away from the water she can go in with the supply boat.

I have lived and dived in CHA CHA for 2 weeks and can comment this resort highly. Your girlfriend will be fascinated by the wonderful house reef. Read about my experience (example G)

best wishes

Alan - No, the plan is to try and stay on Bunaken instead of in Manado. We were looking at various resorts on Bunaken and really like Bunaken Cha Cha and wanted to hear opinions from people that have stayed at the resort.

neptun43 - Thank you for the link. There are not many reviews of the resort, but all that I have seen are positive experiences.

Anybody else stay at Bunaken Cha Cha?

Thanks again,
Phil

Consider also Siladen Island Resort and Spa - this is not as expensive as people seem to think - has the best snorkelling in the area at Siladen House Reef (near the jetty) , a superb beach, a huge salt water pool and your girlfriend can get various massages/beauty treatments and scrubs. And the food is superb. just had a group of 31 friends there and we absolutely loved the place. What time of the year are you going? We had perfect weather (hot but not humid) but were thankful of the air cond. villas at night. The manager is a wonderful guy and he discounted the resort very heavily for our group - it is European owned, staffed by INdonesian villagers and is just the best place.....VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom