Scuba Diving from a Sailboat

What kind of scuba diving do you prefer?

• Diving from shore

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Daytrip diving from a boat

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Liveaboard diving from a boat

Votes: 27 41.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gisle

Contributor
Reaction score
Have you ever considered the great combination of sailing and scuba diving?

Do you prefer shore diving, daytrip diving or liveaboard diving?

My two favorite words in the same thread title!

What are the chances of that?

We're hoping about another 7-10 years and the major decision of the day to be a choice of these activitites.

A note of distinction however. Liveaboard diving for most people is quite a bit different than sailboat cruising.

For the next several weeks, I have to decide between going sailboat racing, or going to help out/practice with my LDS. It worked out that the race schedule and the O/W schedule happen every two weeks, and instead of being alternate weekends, they 're at the same time.

What a drag!;-0

this summer i will be going on a teen trip to BVI, and we will be diving off a sailboat. i think that it makes a diffrence what kind of boat. i'll be diving off a cat, but a regular boat might prove hard.

I owned a 40 ft sailboat for around 5 years, got rid of it 6 months ago. Had a compressor onboard and did a ton of diving from it. Still have the compressor, anybody want to buy it? For extended trips it was great, for day trips it was less than ideal. I'm in a bankruptcy related business so needles to say, I'm pretty busy these days and don't have much free time. Sailboats demand a lot of time. These days I take charters.

I have only dove from a chartered sailboat once. It was a 36' with a sugar scoop style stern/transom, made for easy entry/exit from the water. We put 6 alum 80's on the boat in the port storage locker, they barely made a diff to the trim. We didn't tell the charter company that we were hefting dive tanks onto the boat, what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

I hope to one day soon own my own boat c/w compressor.

Sailing is the world's 2nd greatest actvity (after scuba of course) and the chance to do both is my life long dream. Someday I will be sailing around the world on my boat and diving anywhere/anywhen I want. :D =-) :D

but the idea, yes.

Nordhav'n 46 with a custom dive ladder would work for me, along with the compressor on board, of course. If I wanted to get fancy I might even put in a membrane system so I could have Nitrox :)

That is pretty close to my idea of "paradise".

Maybe after my kid goes off to college, if the Lord permits me good enough health to consider it - its a decade or so away for me.

... so access to and from the water is very easy.

And there's plenty of room for scuba gear and a compressor.

who used to be in the same biz as me (we were competitors and still keep in touch) is doing exactly that.

He and his family are buying a 50ish foot cat sailboat and moving aboard. They're going to homeschool the kids and live in the Carribbean, complete with compressor and such.

Sounds like fun to me.

I can't get my arms around taking my daughter away from the social interaction with her peers, or I'd have considered the same thing. As it sits I'm happy to be able to get offshore whenever I want, and to tool around in the summer months, at least for now.

I might feel differently about it when she's older, or perhaps not.

I've never done a liveaboard so I don't know how they are. I've done pleanty of daytrips though and I've loved them.
I don't think diving off a sailboat would be any more difficult than off a normal boat. So as long as the ladder is cooperative and it's a relitivly large boat so it doesn't move too much. I hate riding the aluminum bronco.

Back
Top Bottom