Lobster lungs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dub5ire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody know if bugs taken from the deep survive a return trip, ie being dropped over the side? I've heard that they don't survive, but not why.

They would get eaten on the way down, or be left out in the open to be eaten. They are nocturnal and stay hidden during the day to avoid predation.

..I've heard that they don't survive, but not why.

Lobster don't have swim (aka air) bladders that many fish have. This is probably why you heard incorrectly that bugs thrown over the side don't survive. This is incorrect. They are bottom crawlers, negatively wieghted, and process water through their gills to obtain oxygen.

I've been on the ocean's bottom and seen bugs thrown overboard, only to crawl backwards over the reef and back into a hole unharmed. But then again, that is a sign of a rookie hunter and the same reason the Florida laws require you to carry a gauge underwater so you can measure your bug underwater and then release it immediately. Catching shorts is a waste of time.

I have tossed plenty of spiny lobsters back from the boat in the Caribbean - never seen one die yet.

They would get eaten on the way down, or be left out in the open to be eaten. They are nocturnal and stay hidden during the day to avoid predation.

If you are referring to spiny lobster, you must have never seen a "March" or lone males out near a hole with others. These lone males seam to be acting as sentinels. If you see one like this, it should get your feelers up to the fact that others are close by.:D

Craig

If you are referring to spiny lobster, you must have never seen a "March" or lone males out near a hole with others. These lone males seam to be acting as sentinels. If you see one like this, it should get your feelers up to the fact that others are close by.:D

Craig
I've not personally seen a "march" but don't they do this periodically to get to deeper water - like say before hurricane season?
I think a general rule for catching lobsters at least here in the mid-atlantic is that if you can get your hand all the way around it, it's too small. When in doubt, just leave it.

Back
Top Bottom