Coating On Aluminum Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevindwhite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just did 7 salt water dives in 5 days with my brand new Hollis aluminum backplate and the black coating is already coming off in spots. Some of the wear is around the bolts, the bands, and the webbing. But some of it appears to be just from rolling around in my dive bag. How worried should I be about this?

I just did 7 salt water dives in 5 days with my brand new Hollis aluminum backplate and the black coating is already coming off in spots. Some of the wear is around the bolts, the bands, and the webbing. But some of it appears to be just from rolling around in my dive bag. How worried should I be about this?

My real job is a coating engineer...just to put my comments in context.

I assume that the black coating is some sort of paint. Black anodized (aluminum oxide grown on the aluminim surface is harder than aluminum with tin oxide added to make black).

I would guess that it was painted for appearance, not performance... and odds are it will eventually come off. Aluminum is fairly resistant to the effects of salt water. Yes it will form some white aluminum oxide at reaction points... but there should not be enough material removed for thousands and thousands of dives.

I am a bit surprized they did not use a stronger coating, as there are many that would not do that...

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the questions. Our Aluminum plate uses a black anodized finish. It will not chip, fade or crack like paint, but it will damage or scratch if rolling around in your gear bag or through heavy wear and tear. After several months of diving, it is normal in areas like the bolt holes and webbing slots for the coating to wear thin. It is not common for spots to wear thin on other areas of the plate.

Do you have any images of the plate you could send me?

Thanks,

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the questions. Our Aluminum plate uses a black anodized finish. It will not chip, fade or crack like paint, but it will damage or scratch if rolling around in your gear bag or through heavy wear and tear. After several months of diving, it is normal in areas like the bolt holes and webbing slots for the coating to wear thin. It is not common for spots to wear thin on other areas of the plate.

Do you have any images of the plate you could send me?

Thanks,

Now that I know what to expect I would say the wear is probably not a issue except around the bolts. I will try to get some photos for you anyway. It looks like my LDS sold me the bolts for the weight pockets instead of the ones for the backplate. Once I saw the grooves the bolts were creating in my plate I put some neoprene washers in between. I'll have to dig through my receipts and try to exchange the bolts. I was a bit surprised I had to buy bolts and a crotch strap separately. I think that stuff should really be included in the future.

How much do the proper bolts cost?

Last edited:
Kevin, I have purchased six Hollis harnesses, all have had crotch straps included. In fact, Hollis includes excessive hardware with their harness. As for the aluminum back plate I have four I use for students. The wear on the aluminun B/P who cares, this just adds character.

My concern would be with having the proper hardware...

Kevin, I have purchased six Hollis harnesses, all have had crotch straps included. In fact, Hollis includes excessive hardware with their harness. As for the aluminum back plate I have four I use for students. The wear on the aluminun B/P who cares, this just adds character.

My concern would be with having the proper hardware...

So what you're saying is my LDS sold me parts, bolts and crotch strap, that should have been included? Because I paid about $50 extra for my Dive Rite crotch strap, which I despise, and the wrong bolts.

Posted via Mobile Device

So what you're saying is my LDS sold me parts, bolts and crotch strap, that should have been included? Because I paid about $50 extra for my Dive Rite crotch strap, which I despise, and the wrong bolts.

Posted via Mobile Device

Kevin, I have purchased one switchback harness and six solo harnesses. All of the harnesses came with a very heavy duty crotch strap. The crotch straps included a scooter ring and a d-ring for your reel to attach to on the rear. The harnesses came in sealed bags with many d-rings ss keepers, etc. I use one d-ring on each shoulder one on the left waist and one on the crotch strap for my reel. I had a fair amount of extra d-rings and ss keepers left over from each harness.

Nick Hollis will be able to confirm exactly how the harness ships and with what hardware. My single tank adapters included all hardware to complete the rig and dive. I believe all harnesses and wings I purchased came with a Hollis DVD (manual) this DVD shows everything included with the harness.

Good Luck…

Kevin, I have purchased one switchback harness and six solo harnesses. All of the harnesses came with a very heavy duty crotch strap. The crotch straps included a scooter ring and a d-ring for your reel to attach to on the rear. The harnesses came in sealed bags with many d-rings ss keepers, etc. I use one d-ring on each shoulder one on the left waist and one on the crotch strap for my reel. I had a fair amount of extra d-rings and ss keepers left over from each harness.

Nick Hollis will be able to confirm exactly how the harness ships and with what hardware. My single tank adapters included all hardware to complete the rig and dive. I believe all harnesses and wings I purchased came with a Hollis DVD (manual) this DVD shows everything included with the harness.

Good Luck…

A movie!? Wow! :)

It sounds like I need to have a talk with my local Hollis dealer. It's probably just an honest mistake. I want to switch out the harness anyway. I got the Switchback but I really want the Solo. As for the bolts, it looks like I wasn't charged but I still won't use them again.

Posted via Mobile Device

A movie!? Wow! :)

It sounds like I need to have a talk with my local Hollis dealer. It's probably just an honest mistake. I want to switch out the harness anyway. I got the Switchback but I really want the Solo. As for the bolts, it looks like I wasn't charged but I still won't use them again.

Posted via Mobile Device

This information listed below is straight from the Hollis Manual on the CD. As for the Switchback harness the Solo actually worked better for me.

Solo Harness Kit:
• Continuous Weave One Piece Harness System w/ 2in (5.1cm) Crotch Strap
• 7 Loose D-Rings w/ keepers to be Custom Placed by Diver (Suggested 2 on Each Shoulder, 1 on Each Waist and 1 on the Crotch Strap.
• 2in (5.1cm) Stainless Cam Buckle
• Shoulder Pads
• Backplate not included

This information listed below is straight from the Hollis Manual on the CD. As for the Switchback harness the Solo actually worked better for me.

Thanks. I went to the Hollis website and printed out the manual. I wanted the Solo but went with the Switchback because that's what was in stock. I had asked the shop to order a Solo and some other stuff for me but they screwed up so I was stuck. Now that my trip is over I have the freedom to be more insistent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom