easy diy diving and chilled atmosphere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoncherry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i am looking for advice on a place in the phillipines to dive. what i plan is to stay in one area 4 to 6 monthes this winter. so i aam looking for somewhere with a good mix of local character and a bit of tourism as well. i am not sure the local regulations about a foreign dive master working in the phillipines but from what ive read it is mostly local dms, although some foreigners have managed to find work with the right connections. is that about right? apart from possibly finding work a few days a week. if that is not an option i am interested in finding a place where diving is easy to arrange. shore dives or the availability of cheap boat charters or rentals and a community of divers who are more or less staying in the area for a while as opposed to tourists of a week. somewhere where it is as easy as finding a buddy and renting some tanks as opposed to always having to go out on trips with local dive shops as a tourist. if anyone has aver been to dahab on the red sea this is pretty much the environment i am in search of. any help is appreciated. cheers:rofl3:

I am not clear. Are you looking for DM work? ...are you looking to hang out and dive? ...clarify

i'm not quite sure about getting a dm job. but i think if you stay that long in one area, people will eventually get to know you and get better prices for your dives. i've met some foreign divers in panglao who stayed for about the same duration and they say that they got some really nice accommodation and dive deals.

check either panglao or puerto galera.

ideally i would find say 3 days dm'ing the local sites. and 3 days to dive with local buddies. i guess what i am looking for is somewhere with challenging and beautiful shore diving which would be easy to access with a buddy and merely have the cost of grabbing a tank from the shop. somewhere with a good local scene of other people who are staying say 3 monthes plus in a village. as ive read its difficult to get dm work in the phillipines with so many local dm's i am more looking to replies about towns with a fair amount of travellers who are sticking around, good shore dives, or other options of diving on your own schedule, and easy accom. in the form of small houses or appartments rather then only hotels and cabanas.

Puerto Galera then is the place you may find what you are looking for...

hmmm sounds like some lyrics in a song .....

Puerto Galera then is the place you may find what you are looking for...

hmmm sounds like some lyrics in a song .....

Bohol is a good second choice. I believe ther is an office there that you can renew your visa if you need extra time. :D:D

i would go either PG or Bohol. If you going to be there for months its good to be close to a big city..... your choice Manila or Cebu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom