Raja Ampat. Resort v LAs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mucksavage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings

I am planning on visiting Raa Ampat around Jan / Fe next year. I had originally planned to do a LA but as they are booking out so quick I thought I'd seek some advice on resorts too.

I would love to hear advice and recommendations from divers who have tried either. Money isn't a huge factor as I plan to throw the kitchen sink at this. What I really want is value by seeing the best marine life possible in nice places.

I travel alone so need 3 dives a day minimum to keep me occupied (and a good reading light!). Of course if somewhere has a bit of night life or somehing to do other then clean yor camera housing thats a great plus.

I have dived Sipadan and Mabul, Bali, Komodo, Bunaken and the Lembah Straits and would love to know how this compares and how best to get the most out of it in a few weeks.

Looking foward to hearing all about it!

PS - Came across the Sorido Bay resort - anyone got any experience? Their basic package is 2 dives a day which seems nuts.

LA?....going to Los Angeles or are you talking about a LOB Liveaboard?

I was in Sorido in January my trip report is posted, excellent resort and you will do 3 or 4 dives a day if you want. I liked it so much...headed back in Oct....Night Life in Raja Ampat?....not going to happen nothing there.

Comparing the diving between Raja Ampat/Papua and Sipadan...no comparison!

Liveaboards are recommended because they are the only way to cover a huge area.

However if you heart is set on a resort then how about Misool Eco Resort? It is new and looks great and the management are young and right-on in terms of environmental impact.

Looks like a great place and by all accounts the diving is stunning. So they would be my first choice for a resort.

www.misoolecoresort.com
YouTube - Misool eco resort (1)

If you do fancy a liveaboard in Raja Ampat then there are plenty of choices.

Liveaboards are recommended because they are the only way to cover a huge area.

However if you heart is set on a resort then how about Misool Eco Resort? It is new and looks great and the management are young and right-on in terms of environmental impact.

Looks like a great place and by all accounts the diving is stunning. So they would be my first choice for a resort.

www.misoolecoresort.com
YouTube - Misool eco resort (1)

If you do fancy a liveaboard in Raja Ampat then there are plenty of choices.

Live-aboard is the best options, however Andy's new resort in Missol is also a good choice if the Live-abaord option not avail. Misool has by far the better diving overall. In my years of operating a live-abaord always tried to sepnd as much time in the southern part of Raja a lot more choices and no medicore diving.
Of course nothing matches Cape Kri or Batu Burung (AkA Melissas Garden) and a couple of others

Back
Top Bottom