Newbie with questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krzr3000

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, long time lurker first time poster. I'm currently just into snorkel/freedive trying to build my skills before picking up another expensive hobby.

I've been searching for all the info i can find about the tropicals coming up this way, being an avid aquarist this interests me. I dont have much RI experience, just a little in CT. I'm just curious...how successful of a catch could i get just netting in the shallows, or snorkeling? Or is it really necessary to go down below? Most likely at Ft. Wetherill as it looks like the best spot.

Thanks for the input!

They tend to hang out fairly shallow and are usually hiding out around the rocks so you ought to do just fine snorkeling. I've seen them as shallow as 5 ft of water.

RIO and instructor? I second the motion but you better study good because you wont get your cert card unless you really learn. I have to say you'll come out of his training ready for some classic NE diving.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. :D

However, before Ed puts any ideas in people's heads I am not becoming an instructor any time in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

Few more questions...is it feasible to go without a wetsuit this time of the year? I've never been to the jamestown area, just looked at pics. Is it typical rocky NE conditions where you can just cruise along the shore?

Thanks

Ed, that wasn't a shark...it was a striper!!!!

Must have been a damn big striper! Then again, we all know that Ed gets excited when he gets near strippers.

By the way, people back here in the land of fresh-water diving are very impressed with the story of our dive on the Onondaga. Looking forward to next time!

Thanks for the input.

Few more questions...is it feasible to go without a wetsuit this time of the year? I've never been to the jamestown area, just looked at pics. Is it typical rocky NE conditions where you can just cruise along the shore?

Thanks

You could do it without a suit, there are usually swimmers in the shallow cove. But if you have a suit, even a 3 mil, you will have a much better time of it. The vis is offten marginal, and there's alot of area to cover. By the time you get done you'll be pretty cold, and bumping along the walls you might get dinged up some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom