Confused - dive watch vs. dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littleguppie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
please keep in mind I'm a novice when asking this question...we just did our AOW cert class this past weekend and our dive instructor told me that I should invest in a dive watch (not a dive computer). Something that tells time underwater. Period. So, I did a search on here and came up with a 'Dive Watch' thread where everyone was rec'd their favorite dive watch. When I googled the watch that most people seemed to love - citizen hyper aqualand' - I learned it's about $360! And when I read the description of what it does, it seems like a dive computer.

Are people using the words 'dive watch' and 'dive computer' interchangably?

I just need a dive watch for our trip to Australia. They are providing computers on the boat and we are not to the point of buying our own computer.

Any rec'ds on a watch. I am a female and I do not own a watch for out door activities like rock climbing, white water rafting etc. My point is I'd like something a little more stylish than a $15 watch from Walmart, but $360 is far too much. Maybe a nice watch around $100?

To clarify...is the citizen hyper aqualand a 'dive computer' or would you wear this and a dive computer. Sorry, I'm sure that is a RIDICULOUS question to seasoned divers.

Thanks!

An Aqualand cannot register your air pressure. You would still need a computer. I actually just use an IronMan watch or G-Shock when I want style. The glitz of an Aqualand is just lost on me though...

Have fun in Australia!

I started off with a waterproof watch from Target, for about $20. All you need is something waterproof that tells time. Get one cheap enough, and you wont feel too bad about cutting the strap off and replacing it with bungie... saves dealing with the clasp etc.

Although, why bother if they are providing computers (which track your tissue nitrogen loading and calculate all sorts of useful stuff)...

The Hyper Aqualand is a watch that includes a bottom timer and depth gauge. It is not a dive computer. It will give you all the information you need to follow your dive plan and then plan repetitive dives.

I use a Frestyle watch when I don't want to damage my Citizen watch Freestyle - The Official Site. Freestyle watches. Surf, Skate, Snow, and Wake . You can find them at Sports Chalet for around $40 and I think they have ladies models.

OK, here's what you need to know........(I'm @ the office & don't have the link right now but can post it in a little while if you are interested)......A Casio 200 meter stop/alarm/bottom timer......GREAT watch for under $30 US , no tax, and free shipping to your front doorstep...I've had 3 since ~85 or 86 and it is ALL the watch you will EVER need for diving.......In the old days before computers, that's how I dove, an UW stop watch and the navy tables----got me home everytime safe, healthy, and somewhat sound...lol......

Any watch would do as long as it is rated at 200 meters or more and if analog is your flavor make sure it has a rotating bezel and is large enough for you to read underwater.

No question is ridiculous, only some of the answers may be!

I use the Citizen Aqualand (JV0030-01E), It is indeed a great dive watch but it is not a full fledged computer. It records and stores dive elapsed time, current and max depths, water temp, and the gives and ascent audible and visual warning if you ascend to quickly. It also track surface interval time and indicates an no-fly symbol for 24hours after a dive. But again, it is not a computer. It is akin to a fancy bottom timer and works great for a back-up should your primary computer fail.

Freestyle is a good watch, so are many others.

My wife uses a St. Moritz when we travel but slaps on a Citizen for the actual dive.

1M-DV01R1R.jpg

Watch? Why? Redundancy maybe?

My basic puck computer tells me everything: bottom time, clock time, NDL time, depth, temp, etc., etc. What's the watch for? I leave my watch in the bag.

P.S. I have a beautiful Seiko SNM035 dive watch in stainless. Think I'm gonna risk that beauty bagging around a reef and boat deck? I wear it AWAY from diving so people can say "nice watch, are you a diver?"...and that makes another potential dive buddy! ;>)

My basic puck computer tells me everything: bottom time, clock time, NDL time, depth, temp, etc., etc. What's the watch for? I leave my watch in the bag.

Yeah - redundancy. I carry a cheap watch even when using a computer just in case the comp fails for some reason.

P.S. I have a beautiful Seiko SNM035 dive watch in stainless. Think I'm gonna risk that beauty bagging around a reef and boat deck? I wear it AWAY from diving so people can say "nice watch, are you a diver?"...and that makes another potential dive buddy! ;>)

I wear my wrist computer on my right sideforearm and my watch on my left wrist...that way if and when a shark bites off my right arm I still have the time on my left arm............also a habbit I started 23 years ago, some habbits are hard to break......

Back
Top Bottom