Scooter Free Diving, Amazing Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Scooters (DPV's) can be a limited convenience and sometimes even a pain in some situations. Then again properly used they can take reasonable free diving ability and extend it very nicely. This isn't to say you should ever go deeper or stay longer than you can return from readily on your own without the DPV. You NEVER should do that, too much risk. Nor should you do a lot of deep exposures rapidly risking DCS even if it becomes readily possible. There are still other precautions.

At the same time, focusing on relaxing, minimal exertion the distance you can readily cover, repeatedly is intriguing. Still playing with it and really liking the sit on top Apollo Evolution. The hands free operation, second nature steering and ready variable speed control are real assets in free diving and shooting photos along the way.

Some stills and videos of various reefs and wrecks appear at the following links shot while scooter free diving.

Deeper Scooter Free Diving Video - Cayman Wall - FKA Kiteboarding Forums
NEW VIDEO - Spiegel Grove Scooter Free Diving - FKA Kiteboarding Forums
Deeper Diving Spots From Shore In SE Florida? - FKA Kiteboarding Forums
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=21037443198

Question, do you know anything about the mod used in the video clip to allow sit on top operation? Haven't seen this before on that type of scooter. Couldn't quite make it out but it looked like a pair of lines extending from the front of the DPV to the blade enclosure? Also, did they rig any means of power control or a deadman switch?

if you are referring to the scoo-toe-ring vid, they are essentially standing on the current handle (and in some shots the shroud), and triggering it with their toe. Hence the toe as opposed to tow :wink:

The lines you see are just the X-scooters tow cord.

Super simple :wink:

I was referring to the free diving, although I have seen the scoo-toe-ring clips before. I have to figure out how to do that on my N-19 :)

I was referring to the free diving, although I have seen the scoo-toe-ring clips before. I have to figure out how to do that on my N-19 :)

Scooter free diving is fun and no worries about embolisms or DCS (normally). It really extends your distance of coverage since you are focusing on staying relaxed and not kicking. You can do profiles that might not normally be within your abilities, that is lateral distance at depth. At the same time keeping sufficient capacity to ascend at any point on your own in an emergency. For deeper stuff I carry a pony bottle to help manage in emergencies. Scooter free diving also provides a different perspective on things. Never realized that ballyhoo like to play around in regulator exhaust for instance.

Thanks for the info on the X-Scooter, that is a creative way to ride to be sure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom