Myrtle beach dive help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masterlucas3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
whats up guys, im taking a long weekend off and heading down to mrytle beach, i wanna do some offshore dives and looking for any shops or charters that are running in september. i wanna get in like 4 to 6 dives ???

thank you fellows

Express is good, they have a newer 46' Newton diveboat. Some of the divesites are a long ride out so it's something I'd look at. They're in Murrell's Inlet about 20 mins. south of Myrtle Beach. I've also dove with them and they provided good service.

Another option in North Myrtle Beach is Coastal Scuba.

my condo is in garden city, so murrels inlet is pretty close, im from nj so my question is is a dry suit recommend and whats vis like??

I just got back from a week in Myrtle Beach (7/26--8/2) and did 6 dives with Express Watersports out of Murrell's Inlet. I did the Bill Perry, 11 Mile Tugboat, and Goldfinch Reef.

Temps were 73-77 at about 65 feet and visability went from 5 feet to 15 feet. They said the last hurricaine stirred everything up and messed up the viz.

It was still a good bunch of dives. The dive and boat crew is good and take care of you. Just a word of caution if you get seasick. We had 3-4 foot swells out over the wreck sites that became a problem for some when the boat tied up to the wreck and stopped moving forward. 2-3 people got sick on each of the trips I was on. I'd suggest taking motion sickness meds if you even remotely think you might be prone to getting sick.

The boat rides were either 1hr 15min (Bill Perry and Goldfinch), or 45 min for 11 mile. We left at 0730 and were back on the dock by 1:30 or 2:00 each day.

I would suggest checking ahead of time to make sure enough divers have signed up for the dives you want to do. I had signed up for the BP-25 dive but they cancelled it the night before due to lack of people signed up. They did call me the night before to tell me, but I would have liked to know the dive was in danger of being cancelled ahead of time so that I might have had a chance to book with another operation. Not a huge deal, but something to think about.

I was on single tanks for the 6 dives, as were almost all of the other divers. I paired up with one guy on doubles for two of the dives. I shoud say I paired up with him until my air got low. I then ascended while he stayed down there. The DMs did not seem to have an issue with that, in fact they seemed to be solo diving themselves during our surface intervals.

I also forgot to mention that I was wearing a 3/2mm suit with a 2mm vest underneath and was very comfortable. Several people were diving in shorties as well. Many seemed ok, but a few were obviously cold.

Back
Top Bottom