Thinking about Galapagos, anyone been there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going to the Galapagos Islands in May. does anyone have live-aboards or cruises to suggest. I may not do a diving only live-aboard because it will skip out on all the excellent land excursions. I'm thinking a cruise vacation (preferably 20-30 passengers max) that will satiate my appetite for land touring and snorkeling. But please, if you've been on any type of cruise over there (diving only, land only), give some feed back.

Thanks.

Hey FLdiver,

I took a trip with about 16 people through Inca Floats about 10 years ago over New Years. I absolutely loved the trip! As it turned out I was the only diver on the boat and the captain had an extra dive set so while everyone else was out on a land excursion one day he and I did a dive. "It was our little secret." as he suggested. It turned out to be quite a spectacular dive with lots of sea lions and a massive white spotted eagle ray. The land excursions there are truly not to be missed however. The absolute lack of fear of various indigenous species was moving. Blue footed boobies not budging an inch as you walk right up to them. If I went back, since I've had the land excursion intensive trip I would probably pick an Aggressor and make it a dive trip. Have a wonderful time!

Jason

You might want to PM Scuba Jim. He is helping me set up a November live aboard and a few days up the Amazon.

Can't wait to see your trip report when you get back.

Steve

I have been FLDiver

If you are thinking of going on a diving trip I would recommend the Aggressors or Sky Dancer.

If you wanna do a naturalist cruise, as they all them - not to be confused with a naturist cruise, which is what the Germans like doing! - then I can recommend some smaller boats that 20-30 pax boats. My analogy has always been - you wouldn't do an African safari in a double decker bus, would you?!!! 30 people is WAY too many for a Galapagos cruise.

Regards
Jim

Thanks for the good information, I guess 20-30 passengers is way too much, I'm sseing more of the 16-20 size. any more info would be great.

thanks

We went on the Galapagos Aggressor last June and it was great.

The boat was very nice, the crew was fantastic and the diving was some of the best we have done. Although it was primarily a diving trip, the Aggressor also has a Naturalist on board and we took several land excursions which were very worthwhile.

I was there in Feb 2002 on PHD Sky Dancer. I can not say enough about this trip. The boat is beutiful, the food was amazing, we did 4 land tours and tons of diving. I am planning a return trip next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom