Galileo Sol - Bulk or Bite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Morgan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm in the market for a new dive computer. Actually got awhile before I plan to buy one, however, I have yet to see the Galileo Sol in person. I read a bunch on it and its got great feedback from many divers using it.

My question isn't geared toward performance but rather: Is it really as bulky as the advertisements make this beast look? It just looks otherworldly HUGE. Like strapping a laptop to my wrist. Kinda geeky in a sense.

To those using it, how does it feel under the water? Is it comfortable? Is it prone to knock into things? Does it get in the way? Is it really that bulky? Does this thing just look retarded on your wrist?

I was originally digging the Suunto D6 or D9, sleek looking computer there. What sucks is I can't monitor my girls tank, you have to sync it every time you use it, I don't like how conservative they are...and the compass....a joke. Not that the compass meant anything in the first place, nothing compares to the SK7.

I'm just really digging the Galileo Sol's features. The reviews...awesome.
Please, any feedback is welcome.

The computer is big but so it the display. The big display is the difference to other computers. Don't compare this computer to a watch like Suunto D9. It's like comparing apples to bananas, Galileo is so much more.

Niclas

LOOOOOOVVE IT.

The display is HUGE!, but the computer itself is contoured to wrap around the forearm, so it is relatively low profile. The big display allows for all relevant info to be displayed at once. The electronic compass works great. The only possible shortcoming I can see right now is that is not trimix capable...YET. New software can be downloaded to a PC and transferred to the galileo by IR as it becomes available. I have heard that they are working on trimix software.

I was originally digging the Suunto D6 or D9, sleek looking computer there. What sucks is I can't monitor my girls tank, you have to sync it every time you use it, I don't like how conservative they are...and the compass....a joke. Not that the compass meant anything in the first place, nothing compares to the SK7.

I'm just really digging the Galileo Sol's features. The reviews...awesome.
Please, any feedback is welcome.

Big computer, big display. Non-sticking compass, Easy to read.

No complaints here.

Terry

Don't compare this computer to a watch like Suunto D9. It's like comparing apples to bananas, Galileo is so much more.

Nooo my friend, I've drawn no comparison between Galileo and D9. Simply said I was looking into it and found I do not like the D9. It's cool looking and all...but I want meat & potatoes in a dive computer, and it looks like the Galileo may just be it.

LOOOOOOVVE IT.

The display is HUGE!, but the computer itself is contoured to wrap around the forearm, so it is relatively low profile. The big display allows for all relevant info to be displayed at once.

Amen right there! I think I'm sold. I went to my LDS to check out the Galileo and try it on, and of course they sold the last one. Instructor there went to get her friends Galileo but I had just missed her by mere minutes and she took it with her. I was so disappointed. I don't mind the size too much. I like having all relevant info displayed at once, easy to read and navigate, but I just want to see the darn thing in person!

Hubby has the Sol and I have the Terra....he is an instuctor and Im a divemaster so we use them alot...love the large display and the amount of information they retain...no problems here...

My only 'problem' with this is my arm is so small I have to put the band on like the 2nd or 3rd hole closest to the computer, I have a lot of strap flopping about. Still trying different ways to secure but it's well worth it.

Lot's of info and configurations possible with this computer. Great system, easy firmware upgrades, user friendly etc etc. I really have enjoyed mine so far...

My only 'problem' with this is my arm is so small I have to put the band on like the 2nd or 3rd hole closest to the computer, I have a lot of strap flopping about. Still trying different ways to secure but it's well worth it.

I have the same problem, and had the same with the SmartTec before the Sol. Guess for those of us with smallish writsts and warm water, we're kind of stuck. I completely undersand the need for the size, but wish there were some sort of velcro strap available (like the velcro adjustable watch straps). That said, the extra strap dangling hasn't caused me any trouble yet.

Only problem I've had is on the first couple dives, kept losing the transmitter signal. Was told it was from my camera/flash interference. Haven't had it with the camera since so don't know if it was a fluke or will be a continuing issue.

Other than that, the Sol is great. I've had at least 8-10 dive computers in my time and this is by far the best one of them all. Large display, lots of information, easy synch with computer. I don't really find it that bulky either.

Only problem I've had is on the first couple dives, kept losing the transmitter signal. Was told it was from my camera/flash interference. Haven't had it with the camera since so don't know if it was a fluke or will be a continuing issue.

The transmission under water uses a oscillating magnetic field. The field geometry depends on the emitter coil, but the range is different in different directions. If I remember correctly the optimal way is to have the transmitter pointing in the direction of your head. It is true that a camera flash disturbs transmission.

Niclas
(Worked for Uwatec, working for Polar)

I have a hard time telling myself to buy a dive computer called the SOL...just doesnt give me good juju on that one.

Back
Top Bottom