Diving At Avery Point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went on a project ocean ography excursion that went over the dive site. Plenty of small lobster and a variety of CT marine life. Vis probably 2-5 ft in the summer. Rocky terrain with easy parking and a nice grassy gear up spot on the western area. Watch out for the oceanography boat as a lot of those lobster pots are theirs and they pull them up sometimes 4x/day for their excursions. There are also various UCONN experiment stations floating and submerged and they don't like divers anywhere near them as divers in the past have disturbed them.

If you go, please post a report.

I went there years ago and I was disappointed that I couldn't get much depth. Is Avery Point the one across from the Power Plant? That's the one I couldn't get much depth on. I felt the same way about Stonington. Not bad dive sites for getting in and looking around.

Can you dive at Pleasure Beach? I did a few years ago, but recently drove by and there is a sign posted only fishing / boat launching (something like that??)..

-Dennis

Well you can't dive from a boat launch so you either enter around it to the right or ask permission at the beach.

Can you dive at Pleasure Beach? I did a few years ago, but recently drove by and there is a sign posted only fishing / boat launching (something like that??)..

-Dennis

I hear that you can, but I think someone stated either earlier in this thread or on another forum that people are known to have a problem with it. I've heard that some call the police/DEP.

Diving from a Boat launch in CT is no longer legal, And if I Remember right, Pleasure Beach is Private and they don't let you enter the water to Dive from the beach. That site used to be a convenient shallow water site, but the DEP and local PD is known to show up pretty quick when divers are there.
The last time I dove there from shore, (A few years ago) the PD showed up and just commented on us being crazy diving when the water was so cold, but the previous several times before that, a black Expedition sized SUV with dark tinted windows would show up and watch us for a while. I never figured out who they were but kind of assumed it was Security from the Nuclear plant.

The site was shallow, but we did see seahorses there on several occassions around fall of 2002.

When I lived in the area, I dove there once with a friend who was looking for lobsters. Need i quote from Spaceballs when I say, "We ain't found sh_ _". It was a rather uninteresting dive as we kept going round in circles because my buddy seemed to have no sense of direction and didn't use a compass. Having grown up near a nuclear power plant, I was at least hoping to find a three-eyed fish. We did see some seahorses and a few drunks trying to load their Boston Whaler onto a trailer. The entertainment factor in that was worth it. It was also only five minutes or so from my place in New London, if I remember correctly. Give me a Maine ledge anytime. I wasn't into the Conn. dive scene but the dive shop in Essex was great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom