Narrowing down the computer search...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gatorblueyes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
...thanks to all the helpful info and opinions on the board. This is my first computer and I know I would like a wrist, non-AI, with nitrox for starters. I have a short list of Aeris Manta, Mares Nemo Sport and Suunto Gekko. If anyone has any input for a first time buyer I would appreciate it although I have gathered a lot from previous threads. I feel that I am leaning towards the Aeris Manta. I am going to continue to research and maybe hit up some stores to take a look this week. I would like to get it and get comfortable with it before I leave for the Bahamas the end of August so time is getting tight. I will be diving with a friend that has a computer and may take her husbands for backup as well.

suunto gekko cannot download dives to a PC, think about suunto D4 or stinger

The nemo is a nice small wrist computer. It is simple to use. A good basic solid dive computer with a little bells and whistle.

The gekko is the largest of the three, very easy to read. It was a very popular dive computer in Thailand. Most of the dive ops had them with their rental gear. Both the nemo and gekko are on the conservative side.

The Manta has the most bells a whistle. You can dl the dive log to your laptop, but not really an must have and the 80 extra bucks for the cable. Most liberal of the three, but can be adjusted to be more conservative. Comes in a bunch of colors. I you want a ton of features so it gives you the most option. But it is the most expensive of the group.

I can chime in on the Gekko... I spoke to a couple who had this and researched this unit myself only because Im looking at a Suunto computer myself. The gekko is a nice device, big LCD, easy to read and will perform well. If you're into downloading to a PC, this wont do it and you also cant do simulated dives with it. I think I'm opting for a Suunto Vyper. But for the price the Gekko is a great computer. I cant speak for the other 2 you mentioned.

Last edited:
I recently struggled with two of the three computers you mentioned. In my case, it was the Mares Nemo Excel, Aeris Manta (same as the Oceanic Geo); however, my third pick was the Suunto D4. I ruled the Nemo out becuase it does not contain surface interval. I liked the D4; however, battery replacement seems to be a bit of a hassle for me, as the watch has to be sent to one of three nationwide service centers for battery replacement. The Aeris/Oceanic had everything I wanted, including a user replaceable battery, which ended my search.

Thank you all for your replies. It definately helps me get some additional perspective. Can someone explain the difference between a dive planner and a dive simulator and why you would want one or the other or both? Simple enough question I am sure but I tried to search online for a simple explaination and couldn't find one...although...that was after HOURS of reading threads and websites lol.

Thank you all for your replies. It definately helps me get some additional perspective. Can someone explain the difference between a dive planner and a dive simulator and why you would want one or the other or both? Simple enough question I am sure but I tried to search online for a simple explaination and couldn't find one...although...that was after HOURS of reading threads and websites lol.

Well basically... A dive simulator shows how various situations are displayed on the screen, where and how data is displayed, and what kind of visual and audible alarms will appear. Dive planning allows you to plan repetitive dives accurately (ie: using the good ol RDP). You can use both to plan a dive I suppose.

usually i use simulation to plan multi-level dives; and planner to plan simple dive profiles

Thank you! Of couse I went to the LDS to pick up my reg that was being servied. They had mostly Suunto there and they did have the Oceanic Geo. I went in there thinking I knew what I wanted but came out wondering about the Suunto Viper 2 LOL. The store manager spent a lot of time with me going over everything so it was helpful yet now I am one step back again. Sigh...back to reading I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom