Should I get one at all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EBH

Registered
Reaction score
I'm off to Egypt in a couple of weeks to get my advanced certificate.. I have 12 logged dives, all done about a year and a half ago in Thailand when I took my Open Water certificate.. At this level of experience, would you get a dive watch/computer, and what kind?

After this trip it'll once again be a little while before I go diving, so if prices tend to fall quickly then waiting might be the best option..?

-Thanks!

Yes. I suggest that a dive computer is an invaluable piece of dive equipment. You don't have to spend the bank. I mean, I would love a Galileo, but you don't need to fork over 1,000's for a recreational computer. You can find a good solid computer for 300 - 400$. Good luck.

OTOH, if you're diving at a rate of once a month like mentioned, you can rent, at least in egypt it is available

Are your dives limited by time (NDL's, from the tables) or because you don't have enough gas (air consumption).

There's no way a computer can help if your dives are limited by air consumption. You can see some benefit with a computer if you are ending your dives because you ran out of time.

I respectfully disagree with fireflock. Most computers will help you with ascent rate and safety stop notice/timing, both important assists for the newbie.

I respectfully disagree with fireflock. Most computers will help you with ascent rate and safety stop notice/timing, both important assists for the newbie.
plus multi dive planning, backup (or primary??) depth gauge, SI and no-fly

I suspect that I won't convince you, but let me give it a try. Unless you're bumping up against NDL's, the things a computer will do (like ascent rate, stops, etc...) are things that every diver should try and develop a knack for.

You know how some people know what speed they are driving without looking at the speedometer, or know which way is N without a compass, or came come pretty close to multiplying 434 x 12 in seconds without a calculator? That's the kind of feeling new divers can develop when it comes to ascent rate, depth, etc.. I'm NOT saying that you should not carry any kind of timer or depth gauge or not use tables to plan your dives. I am saying that I see people who stare at their computer for the whole ascent and never take their eyes off it because they have no idea where they stand without the computer feedback.

I like computers, I use them (sometimes 2), but unless you're dives are limited by time and not gas consumption, I think you're better off buying time in the water instead. Too often the assists end up being a crutch because a divers never dives without them.

For most of my time in Egypt I'll be diving with an instructor because I'll be doing the advanced open water so it's not strictly necessary then.. And if I decide to get one while I'm there, I can try some out at dive shops and get what I like, but I heard that gear is expensive in Sharm. If I buy before the trip, I have to buy on the internet since there's no diveshops around here..

My dives in Thailand were always limited by time an not air, but that was with the use of my instructor's computer (he used it, I just followed). I was planning on just doing the same again, but on the other hand, I'd love to have one.. It's just that I know I won't use it for probably about a year after this one week in Egypt... Would you get one just for taking the advanced certificate?

My dives in Thailand were always limited by time an not air, but that was with the use of my instructor's computer (he used it, I just followed).

In that case, you need your own (and maybe a different instructor?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom