HTS Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypertech

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just got certified today and am already looking for my gear :) Even though viz was like 4' and we only saw a half dozen sun fish on our dives, I can't wait to go again.

I've been looking at all kinds of gear and its a bit overwhelming. I had thought I would probably go with the Oceanic Excursion BCD, but I'm concerned about maximum weight (I needed 24 pounds today) and I would also like gear that can grow with me rather than something I have to toss in 2 years and replace. I live in MN and I understand the "good stuff" around here is cold and deep meaning I will likely be into tec and doubles at some point.

That said, from what I have been reading and reviewing, I like the HTS harness but I'm a little confused how it all goes together. I don't see any metal plate to mount the tank on listed on the website and I'm assuming I would want a 38 lb wing but I'm not sure how to know exactly what size wing to pick.

If I bought the HTS for a single setup, how many things would I need to buy to convert it to doubles?

How do the optional quick release weights work? Are there also pockets on the back near where the tank would go like there are in many BCD's?

There aren't any dealer's anywhere near me - are there online dealers where I might be able to get a package price?

I just got certified today and am already looking for my gear :) Even though viz was like 4' and we only saw a half dozen sun fish on our dives, I can't wait to go again.

I've been looking at all kinds of gear and its a bit overwhelming. I had thought I would probably go with the Oceanic Excursion BCD, but I'm concerned about maximum weight (I needed 24 pounds today) and I would also like gear that can grow with me rather than something I have to toss in 2 years and replace. I live in MN and I understand the "good stuff" around here is cold and deep meaning I will likely be into tec and doubles at some point.

That said, from what I have been reading and reviewing, I like the HTS harness but I'm a little confused how it all goes together. I don't see any metal plate to mount the tank on listed on the website and I'm assuming I would want a 38 lb wing but I'm not sure how to know exactly what size wing to pick.

If I bought the HTS for a single setup, how many things would I need to buy to convert it to doubles?

How do the optional quick release weights work? Are there also pockets on the back near where the tank would go like there are in many BCD's?

There aren't any dealer's anywhere near me - are there online dealers where I might be able to get a package price?

Thanks for the questions and congrats on taking the plunge! :wink:

The HTS is a backpack style harness which can be used with or without a backplate. It is designed for use with both singles and doubles wings, and will also accept a variety of accessories such as our quick release weight system. These pockets are purchased separately and are secured onto the HTS with the 2" waist strap and shoulder buckle assembly.

The way the HTS attaches to our singles wings (like the S38 you described) is through the use of a single tank adapter plate. And for doubles, the use of either a aluminum or stainless backplate is suggested. While the accessories and wings change through the years, this harness will stay the same and grow with you. We currently offer 7 wings to choose from, which all work with the HTS and give you a wide variety of options.

To find a dealer near you, please visit our dealer locator at Where To Buy Hollis Gear

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best Regards,

Thanks Nick.

There is no dealer in my state so I am going to have to order it. I see that Leisure Pro has your equipment - are they authorized for your gear like they are for Oceanic? I don't know how to look up online places on the finder you linked to.

From your comments, it sounds like the single tank adapter plate is something different a single backplate?

Also, I would like to avoid a weight belt so I'm interested in the weight system but it won't hold enough weight for me. I think I've seen straps to hold weight right to the tank. Would you suggest something like that to hold 4-6 pounds on the tank for me and then the balance in the weight packs?

Thanks Nick.

There is no dealer in my state so I am going to have to order it. I see that Leisure Pro has your equipment - are they authorized for your gear like they are for Oceanic? I don't know how to look up online places on the finder you linked to.

From your comments, it sounds like the single tank adapter plate is something different a single backplate?

Also, I would like to avoid a weight belt so I'm interested in the weight system but it won't hold enough weight for me. I think I've seen straps to hold weight right to the tank. Would you suggest something like that to hold 4-6 pounds on the tank for me and then the balance in the weight packs?

Yes, Leisure Pro is an authorized Hollis dealer. If you would like to use our dealer locator, please visit our website here: Where To Buy Hollis Gear

The single tank adapter plate is used as a tank cradle for single tanks. It can be used on any of our wings, in combination with a stainless or aluminum backplate.

If you need more weight than our 20lbs system can offer, we also carry 5lbs. trim pockets which can be threaded onto the tank strap. For additional weight, i usually opt for a stainless plate (-6 lbs.) and a 5lbs. trim pocket. Keeps the weight pockets from being overloaded and helps with gaining optimum balance in water.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Back
Top Bottom