Seaquest Balance or Zeagle Escape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Walked to Leisure Pro today to buy my first set of equipment. Unfortunately, LP didn't have the Balance with the Surelock in stock yet. THe only other alternative I had in mind was the Zeagle escape, but I was concerned about the "air trapping" issues I have read about on this board. Well should I wait for LP to get in the new seaquests or just get the Zeagle so I won't have to rent yet again when I go to Florida next month? Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by air trapping. Both of those BC's have a wing that is not connected at the bottom. That means moving the air around takes some finesse. If you want something where the wing is connected across the bottom, try a Transpac II with Travel Wing.

I agree with LW, what "air trapping" are you talking about? I have a Ranger and a Scout, both have a inverted U shaped bladder, like most all back inflate BC's. I don't have any trouble with air trapping. Granted, you have to keep the connection of the bladder to the inflater hose at a high point but all BC require this. I can't comment on the Balance, but the Zeagles are well built and comfortable, I like both of mine.

I have a Balance, and find it comfortable and easy to trim out. If I can't dive my BP, I dive my Balance.

If what you say is correct, I would be inclined to just buy the Zeagle and not wait for the Seaquest. However, if you run a "search" on this board (type in zeagle escape) you will see a few posts of individuals complaining of air trapping in that BC. I am only asking as I don't want to regret my purchase. Thanks.

I did a quick search of the board and did find a couple of references to "air trapping" but none of the were specific on exactly how/where the air was trapped. Fact is any BC, no matter what construction of the bladder is going to "trap air" unless the vent valve is at the high point. Air is going to rise to the highest point in any BC and to vent it, you have to have the vent valve at the highest point, be it the shoulder vent or a vent on the lower side of the bladder. I looked on the Zeagle web site and the Escape appears to use the same bladder as the Scout, both have 35lbs of lift. As an example, with no wetsuit I dive 6lbs of lead with my Scout. About 4-5 lbs of this is to offset the weight of air when the tank is enpty and some is to offset my internal ballast (hehehe) so the bladder can't be holding too much air.

I think what he is talking about is the fact that the Zeagle has a double bladder (outer bag with an inner poly bag [or some other material]) . I have had some trouble with a Zeagle trapping air because of the inner bag getting twisted inside and you can not get the air out. I had to get out of the water and reach down inside the bag and untwist it. Ever since then, I am a little more careful with my Zeagle BC.

The Balance just has one bag, made with cordura and sewn and bonded seams. In my opinion, I would wait for the Balance. Thats funny though, LP doesnt have them huh??? Oh well too bad... My LDS does.... Ha ha...

The Ranger and the Concept have the covered bladder (inner air cell with nylon cover), the Escape (and Scout) have a single bladder made in the same manner as the Balance described above.

herman once bubbled...
The Ranger and the Concept have the covered bladder (inner air cell with nylon cover), the Escape (and Scout) have a single bladder made in the same manner as the Balance described above.

i wasnt too sure about that, thanks for the info...

I dove it for years before my Assimiliation.

Just for the record, I dove with 20 - 26 pounds, and I never, not one time, even came close to losing the weights with just the velcro. If you're waiting for the surelock out of fear of the weight pockets sort of falling out, they won't.

I understand all the arguements - velcro isn't a load-bearing material, the seas are littered with velcro weight pockets, etc.

All I can say is 4 years with my balance, never came loose, never dropped out.

Its the only BC I'd consider going back to, from my BP/W (student rig, etc.) I loved it.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom