SeaQuest Pro QD+ vs. Mares Syncro Power Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MARES_FAN

New
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm quite a new UK diver, just about to finish my advance OW, and am starting to buy my own kit. Ive done a bit of digging around and research on BCD's, and have discovered the SeaQuest Pro QD+ and the Mares Syncro Power Tech both reasonably appealing (and available to me for a very decent price). Any info or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Mainly plan to do tropical/warm water dives if that helps?

Also, i know someone who owns the SeaQuest (size - Large) whos the same framesize as me (5'10" 90Kg Muscular frame), and his fits great. However, i read a thread on here saying a 6'4" guy at 220llbs found a Large Mares Syncro Power Tech a bit roomy! Any ideas which size i'd need if i went for the Mares?

Many Thanks

Not sure if this post is too late but......

IMO dont buy the Mares. I've used that particular model and the integrated weight system flat out SUCKS! The QD is wraparound while the Mares is back inflated. If you want to go with back inflation I would recommend the Balance.

Make sure if you go for the Pro QD+ that you get the 2003 model with the Surelock system for the integrated weights and not the older velcro pockets unless you are getting a real good deal.

I have the SQ with the integrated Air Source....and i have had no problems with it. And, I have not known anyone who also owns it having problems with the velcrow...unless....they dont properly wash and clean it after every dive....and ...try to put two tons of weight in there.

I tried the SQ with the new snap in pockets and found them "iffy" at best. In a pool environment i had six pounds of weight in the pockets....inverted....and one came out. It could have been that it wasnt seated properly...who knows...but it has never happened with my velcrow model.

If you do get it....write SQ...over the internet...and tell them the hose for the air source needs to be about 4 inches longer....

Once you try to practice your assisted ascents you will understand!!

No contest. Go with the SQ ProQD+.
SQ ProQD+ is a good BC, the Synchro isn't.

I had a Mares Syncro Power Tech and it was OK. It was an easy BC to dive with and be able to control my buoyancy easily. However, I found the cummerbund system to be a bit lacking in the back of the BC where it joins the padded back. If one needed to let it 'out' a bit more than it comes from the factory, then the ends were not attached by any more than 2 1" flat webbing straps since the Velcro no longer would 'reach' the back of the BC. I just thought for a BC with 800+ D-rings all over it, some engineer would have taken that into account a bit more!

I found it, as well as many jacket BC's to be a bit too 'barrel-like' around my torso for my liking and too bulky.

But hey, you might like it...

I have about 50 dives on mine and have never had trouble with the velcro weight pockets. I use about 6 lbs a side and have never had an unintended release. Outstanding fit overall. I also have the AirSource and have not had trouble with it either. I have practiced using it as my reg at about 80 ft and it worked fine. My Legend LX works better but would have no reservations about using it.

Leisure Pro has good prices on this rig. If I remeber right the last time I looked it was $314 for regular sizes. Extra for XXL and XS

all4diving

:sharky:

I personally love my sea quest pro QD+, it is the best BC I have ever used, the only drawback I have noticed is that it is a bit hard to get unzip the pockets, but no bigee because I hardly ever use them anyway, I havent had any problems with the velcro so far either.

My friend bought his wife the Mares Syncro and when she jumped in the water off a sail boat the weights fell out? Happened a few times.

Back
Top Bottom