What would take to make your LDS happy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tampico_ED

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering, if someone has an idea of a figure ($$$ a YR) how much is reasonable to 'support' 'your' shop ?

Maybe a memership $200/yr?

Should we ask them? Has anyone really made happy his LDS?

It has not been clear to me in some shops what is expected from me as a customer to get service... free of BS....do not buy online...if you buy it online do no bring it here....bad faces ....are you going to signup for the trip?....Did you buy that in other shop?....you just come for the air and no buy anything etc etc...etc...

Any ideas are welcome.....I promise to try them with my LDS.

Thanks

I think it depends on your LDS. I've personally not had those problems with my LDS but I've seen lots of examples of other LDS acting poorly and unfortunately, a lot of examples of other customers being jerks. You shouldn't have to spend lots of $$$$ to get good service, its not a bar with a cover charge to get in the door. Treat them fairly, show some loyalty and they should do the same. If not, find another LDS.

Your LDS is in business to make money so their job is to sell you a trips, equipment or service. If your not interested, say no, if they treat you poorly because of it, walk out, go to another shop as is your right as a customer. On the other hand, I don't think you should expect them to treat you the same as the customer who books travel, get service, classes and equipment from them. I'd hope they would still treat you fairly but you never know these days.

When you buy online, don't take it to the LDS and expect them to be happy about it. Online stores will eventually put them out of business so they have a right to be upset. No LDS can compete with online companies like LeisurePro. Example: My LDS carries Cressi-Sub but can't buy Cressi regulators wholesale, direct from Cressi, for what Leisurepro sells them for retail price. My LDS showed me their order catalog, including the wholesale price they pay when I said I saw it cheaper. It doesn't make LeisurePro evil, they just can buy in bulk and overseas that my little LDS can't match. All my LDS could do was offer free air fills and service credit to make up for the difference. Kinda sad actually

I like my LDS is happy with us as customers. We bought most of our basic equipment from them (we already had fins and masks). We go with the LDS group when they dive locally and a trip abroad. We stop by once or twice a month just to say hello and get anything we need.

We did take our AOW and Nitrox classes with BlueWater Divers of Key Largo because we wanted to mix it up a bit, but are going to take our Rescue class with our LDS (got our OW there too).

Not sure what more could be done. We have planned two of our own get aways on liveaboards, but will be going with LDS on their big trips next year too!

It is the shop's job to earn your business, not the other way around. You don't owe a shop an annual $ quota to deserve the privilege to shop there, that's silly.

As I see it, your only obligation as a customer is to deal with the shop fairly. Don't be a high maintenance pain in the butt and remember they've got to make a living too. Be polite and reasonable and don't waste their time if they've got no shot of making a sale. That doesn't mean you have to buy something if you go in and ask questions, it just means you have to be honestly giving them a shot to win your business if you are taking their time. If you decide they aren't going to make the sale, don't be afraid to politely tell them the truth about why like, "You know Joe's Dive Shop sells the same thing for half the price." Give them a chance to respond. That's the free market system.

Last edited:
I try to be fair to the local guys, but I do price compare (to other local shops only). Whenever I have a larger purchase (wetsuit and BC, backplate and wing, dry suit, reg), I call around. It doesn't take much of my time or theirs if I've done my homework and know what I want. I've found (exactly what you'd expect) that many shops are fairly competitive and others are out to soak you dry. When I was looking for dry suits for my wife and I (DUI CLX 450 customs), I had one shop quote full MSRP. When I mentioned that I had been calling around and his was the highest price by far, he wouldn't budge. He claimed that all the other shops were violating pricing policies (all of them?!). I understand that he's trying to make a living, but I work for my money too. If I can save $600-$800 to buy the same pair of dry suits from another authorized dealer, why am I going to give you more? Needless to say, I didn't waste his time by going to the shop.

Now, for some gear (without moving parts) that my life doesn't directly depend on (knives, lights, catch bags), I do look online. If I'm looking for a manufacturer's warranty, something that needs to fit, or something expensive, I stay local.

The local dive shops I frequent (4 of them) seem to be pretty happy. They also seem to realize that customer service and building trust will help move their inventory. The good ones will continue to survive even with the existence of LeisurePro (last time I checked, LeisurePro didn't offer certifications in MA either).

Don't worry about making them happy. If they're good, they're selling product, if they're making sales, they're happy.

Tampico--

If your LDS is that hard to please, I'd find another one.

Some shops just don't have what it takes in the sphere of customer service, and that's your opportunity to "speak" with your dollars.

To hijack this thread or to "extend the discussion" how much of a price difference would be required for you to not purchase something from your LDS? Here's an example

Dive shop #1 is local
Dive shop #2 is about 100mi away and of course will ship anything you like

Let's use a new tank as an example, dive shop #1 is selling a HP Steel tank for 50$ more than dive shop #2. It it worth the drive?

Hi,

There are not many shops in close distance. Especially for a quick Nitrox run or even clean Air.

So, we have to make it work with the LDS. I'm not saying to have a bad relationship but instead some misunderstandings and unknown expectations...I still take some of my gear to be service by my old LDS which seems not to be of the LDS likings...I have spent a fair amount < $1k (to my point of view) this year on gear or services....but the point still remains for some reason there is some noise on the dealing....

RIO is right in sometimes I have misused the LDS' time ...will put more attention to avoid it!!!

Tampico--

If your LDS is that hard to please, I'd find another one.

Some shops just don't have what it takes in the sphere of customer service, and that's your opportunity to "speak" with your dollars.

I agree with the premise of the OP: if you aren't good to your LDS, they may fold, and then everyone is worse off. I would not have thought membership fees would be a good way to go forward, as people would probably just move to a LDS that does not charge membership fees.

I prefer to give 'soft support' to my LDS by taking courses that I don't really need just to add something extra to my diving and feed a bit back into the system. I also try to tip my instructors generously, but that is a different issue.

There is no obvious upside for me (other than a growing collection of cards) as I have 10 LDSs within 6 miles of my house, and if one folds I have plenty of options. But I enjoy diving and am lucky enough to be in a high income bracket, so I like to feel that it gives a little bit back into the sport that I love. (That said, I buy my dive gear online without apology, but because of the size of the diving community and heavy import duties, there is relatively little selection to buy locally).

But that is not going to be for everyone. Either because they don't want to, or because they can't afford the time or the money. I don't judge anyone for that.

I don't remember the diving world before the advent of the LDS, but my Dad does - driving inordinate distances to get cylinders (which had to be painted black and white - for air) filled at commercial gas operations, having to work out dive site locations and conditions for yourself because there was no reservoir of local knowledge to draw on, no local training (not much traiing at all, to be honest) and no local support for equipment that you buy. An LDS may not be a way to earn big bucks, but it certainly helps keeps diving alive in the community.

Overall, I find it that LDS-es have hard time accepting the reality that the old "low volume, high margin" territorial model they are built around is being rapidly replaced by a "high volume, low margin" internet mega store model. It's not 1970 anymore, so get over it - don't fight against the consumer preferences and specialize in something you are good at (training, service). If they frown at you for shopping at LeisurePro, tell them "Why don't you stop shopping at Amazon.com - you are sinking you local books/electronics/etc store?" :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom