Sharm El Sheikh "local dives"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Im going to Sharm El Sheikh last week in august and looking for dive ops i see they tend to require "atleast one local dive" before they let you dive Ras Mohammed "regardless of experience".

My simple question in this regard is if the local dives is worth doing or if its just a plain ripoff? Is there anything nice to see there or is it just some stupid excuse to make divers fork out more money?

Yeah, Ive read the whole "bouyancy" and "weighting" yadayada but to be honest, people who dive regularly shouldnt have much problems keeping bouyancy under control even if theire quite a bit over weighted..

Yeah it is just a rip off, and to be frank quite uneccessary and a waste of a day. Some local reefs arn't actually too bad and it's often told that even whale sharks have been spotted at these sites, but I think this is an extremely rare occurance if it happens at all. Ok so you need a little more weight in the red sea but 2kgs extra should be enough for anyone, and being overweighted is no real problem. Insrtuctors sometimes keep extra weight on them during open water sessions anyway to hand out as neccessary. But this is the rule out there and one you probably have to obey. As you know I shall not be returning.

I recently went to the Maldives and had to do an orientation dive on their house reef before being able to dive like a regular certified diver. The only difference was that we descended on a line with a guide/instructor (subsequent dives were without a line), and she had us perform 3 basic skills on the sea floor: Primary regulator removal/retrieval, mask removal/replacement, and OOA scenario. It took about 5 minutes, and the rest of the dive she took us around the house reef. After the skill demonstration, it turned out to be an awesome dive that I enjoyed just as much as the rest of them. I see no problem with using that first dive as a rough estimate on how much weight you will need for the rest of your time there, but that's just me. My next trip is going to be to the Red Sea as I'm only around 3 hours away in Kuwait, so definitely let us know how it goes!

Jose

The check dive in the Red sea is a standard thing and generally accepted by all divers. All about safety. Plus Ras Mohamed is absolutely pristine and the reason is all divers have a level of (checked) skills that ensure they don't knock into the reef and ruin it (as the case in Hurgada). Dive Centres dont' need to rip you off - they get quite enough business anyway. I lived in Cairo for a year - I know. I did my check dive at one of the resort house reefs (Intercon) and it was still a memorable dive. I also saw a baby manta at another resort house reef on a later date. diving in the Red sea is amazing wherever you go. Just enjoy!

Diving at Sharm's local sites, a rip off? Absolutely not!
I live and work in Sharm (office- not water-based unfortunately) and yes, I do sometimes actually CHOOSE to dive at local sites on my days off, rather than their more famous cousins in Ras Mohammed and Tiran! Sure, there are not the dramatic scenery and stronger currents of the National Park areas. However, many advantages of 'local' sites - plenty of coral pinnacles still in good condition, loads of reef fish, a good mix of shallow sandy plateaux to reflect the light (great for photos) and drop offs; a great chance to take your time as the boat will be moored up (unlike in Ras M/Tiran where nearly all dives are drift dives).
And YES...there is an exceptional chance of seeing 'big stuff' this year. Very unusually, we have had several whale sharks cruising the coast (90% of the time seen at 'local' sites) for the last 2 months. Nearly daily sightings, which is very very unusual (text yesterday from Instructor colleague "4 whale sharks with a bait ball of sardines at Near Garden hahahahaha"- naturally she only told me cos she knows I'm stuck in front of a computer in the office). Mantas and eagle rays aplenty too.
And of course all the above aside, there is a serious point about insisting that visiting divers test their weights/buoyancy at a local site before heading out to Ras M/Tiran. Particularly if you're experienced, you will have seen many cases of divers who are not able to control their buoyancy properly, causing damage to coral and stressing themselves and others. So I'm sure you can appreciate the sense in applying this rule to everyone.
Have a great trip in August, maybe see you in the Bar for a post-dive beer? Post and let us know what you've seen! Enjoy!

Diving at Sharm's local sites, a rip off? Absolutely not!
I live and work in Sharm (office- not water-based unfortunately) and yes, I do sometimes actually CHOOSE to dive at local sites on my days off, rather than their more famous cousins in Ras Mohammed and Tiran! Sure, there are not the dramatic scenery and stronger currents of the National Park areas. However, many advantages of 'local' sites - plenty of coral pinnacles still in good condition, loads of reef fish, a good mix of shallow sandy plateaux to reflect the light (great for photos) and drop offs; a great chance to take your time as the boat will be moored up (unlike in Ras M/Tiran where nearly all dives are drift dives).
And YES...there is an exceptional chance of seeing 'big stuff' this year. Very unusually, we have had several whale sharks cruising the coast (90% of the time seen at 'local' sites) for the last 2 months. Nearly daily sightings, which is very very unusual (text yesterday from Instructor colleague "4 whale sharks with a bait ball of sardines at Near Garden hahahahaha"- naturally she only told me cos she knows I'm stuck in front of a computer in the office). Mantas and eagle rays aplenty too.
And of course all the above aside, there is a serious point about insisting that visiting divers test their weights/buoyancy at a local site before heading out to Ras M/Tiran. Particularly if you're experienced, you will have seen many cases of divers who are not able to control their buoyancy properly, causing damage to coral and stressing themselves and others. So I'm sure you can appreciate the sense in applying this rule to everyone.
Have a great trip in August, maybe see you in the Bar for a post-dive beer? Post and let us know what you've seen! Enjoy!
I might actually not have the TIME to dive the supposedly best sites if I have to dive locally, thats the problem. I have other things planned as well and its not only me to consider. I really hope I do though. Guess I have to find out if I can get a local dive in during the afternoon the day I arrive or the day after or else im as Bender would put it "boned"..

I bet the message from your colleague REALLY made your day at work a lot easier :p

As an instructor based in Dahab, when I went to Shark's Bay, I accepted that I would need to do a check dive with the dive centre I chose.

Why wouldnt I?

I enforce this to people coming to my dive centre.

They dont know me, I could have made the card.

The dive guide was embarrassed when I told him what I do for a living, but I dont see a problem with it.

There are some good house reefs in Sharm, and the day you get out, will be commensurate with the effort you put in.

Have a face like a bulldog licking pi55 off a nettle, and you will have a crap day.

Conversely, diving with Umbi Dive Centre in Shark's Bay, I did my check dive in a shallow part of Tiran, where I saw a whale shark after 8 minutes of a 18 metre dive ...

Whalesharks tend to feed at the surface, so im not surprised that its near the surface you see them. Theire truely amazing creatures which I have had the pleasure of playing with before. Sure, I wouldnt mind "swimming in the pool" if I had a week available only for diving, but I dont and want the most out of the dives I actually get to do, and from what people say, what im looking for is at Rash Mohammed, where I might be unable to get to dive when Im down there..

(yeah, I know, I might have high expectations)

If its anything like it was diving there in June the best sites were local ones, I seen 6 whale sharks and 4 mantas in 5 days all on local sites...

E2A..

I have always found ocean college to be a highly professional dive outfit and would recommend them highly..

If its anything like it was diving there in June the best sites were local ones, I seen 6 whale sharks and 4 mantas in 5 days all on local sites...
But Im not there for the whalesharks, although theire amazing creatures..
The mantas is an upside, but not alone worth skipping whats supposed to be one of the best divesites in the world..

EDIT: Thanks for the reommenations everyone have made with regards to dive shops so far althought theres somewhat gaping experiences with the local sites..

Back
Top Bottom