Aeris XR2 weigh in please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gatorblueyes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok so...one of my first threads on this forum was narrowing down the computer search...Based on a few parameters -wrist mount, nitrox, non-ai, not super conservative - I thought I had a working short list of sorts...Suunto Gekko, Mares Nemo Sport, Aeris Manta...I read...and asked...and read...and asked. Then I went to a lds. Saw the Geo (read Manta) and was underwhelmed of sorts. I was talked into looking at the Vyper 2. I was told I could change the Bubble algorithim to make it less conservative...was told on here I could not. I read...and read...and read...Today I went to another lds - HUGE MISTAKE on a few levels. First, it is lobster eve. People were all over the place. Second...I am sure the people in the shop are exhaused due to the aforementioned buzz but when I was being helped, my questions on the Suunto couldn't be answered and I was blown off when I asked for more information by the man who seemed to be in charge:11:. He just threw his bottom line prices at me (which weren't that impressive) and acted like I was insane for not craving a Suunto. "Everyone uses a Suunto" as he pointed to everyone...well fine...everyone in YOUR group uses a Suunto. Noone in my dive group uses a Suunto so HOW DOES THE %@$$##! ALGORITHM COMPARE AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!?!?! So...now I am home disenchanted and wondering about the Aeris XR2:rofl3:

Last edited:
noone??? pros or cons??? I just didn't see much about this particular one on this board or another where I was lurking. I am going to one last lds where they supposedly have them today and then I really need to make a choice.

The Aeris XR2 is a nice piece, I believe Twistedarts (member here) just came back from the Caymens and use it (could of been an XR1 as well). Not EVERYONE used a Suunto either.. I'm sure plenty of people on here will agree with that. There are many other dive comps that are good. The Aeris is one of them from what I've been told and the research I've done. Like I said PM Twistedarts and he may be able to give you more detailed info on the Aeris. It depends on your budget too.. The Aeris is a little cheaper but you're going into the Vyper then you might as well look at the Cobra for not much more. I originally was looking at the Vyper then decided I may take the Cobra now but I'm actually still undecided. But honestly for 275 bucks you can get yourself into a Gekko which is a great device and have many great features and it's built on the Vyper and Cobra platform. Just as long as you're not looking for Integrated air. Then you have to move up.

I dove a Suunto Vyper and Aeris XR2 side by side a couple of weeks ago.
The Vyper is MUCH more conservative.
Both are easy to use, easy to read.
I prefer the screen display of the Suunto. Did not like the ability to change screen info underwater of the Aeris. I did like the seconds count down on the Aeris.

I have an XR1... nice entry level computer. A little on the simplistic side.

Here is a link to Scuba Diver's review of some computers including the XR1 and XR2...both are rated on the liberal bottom time scale.

http://www.scubadiving.com/article/14_new_computers

Last edited:
I have an XR1... nice entry level computer. A little on the simplistic side.

Here is a link to Scuba Diver's review of some computers including the XR1 and XR2...both are rated on the liberal bottom time scale.

Scuba Diving Magazine - 14 New Computers

TY I read that one last night. I liked the comparisons they did on similar models. I feel like I am trapped in the land of in-between. I don't want one too entry and I don't want one too involved!

I just ordered a Vytec because I got $200 off for having recently taken a course. This may be an option for you but the promo ends this month. It is also only good for Cobra, Cobra 2 and Vytec, not the Vyper.

You can at least make the Vytec less conservative. I'm looking for comparisons to bottom times in each mode but haven't found one. This is straight from the manual.

The Vytec also allows experienced divers who are willing to accept a
greater level of risk to adjust the RGBM model. The default setting is
RGB100 which gives full (100%) RGBM effect. Suunto strongly advises
to use full RGBM effect. Statistically very experienced divers have less
incidents with DCI. The reason for this is unknown, but it is possible that
some level of physiological and or psychological accommodation can
take place when you are very experienced as a diver. Thus for certain
divers and diving conditions you may want to set attenuated (50%) RGBM
mode (RGB50). See Table 3.6. To advise the diver that attenuated RGBM
has been set, the Diver Attention Symbol is constantly displayed (Table
3.3.)

I just ordered a Vytec because I got $200 off for having recently taken a course. This may be an option for you but the promo ends this month. It is also only good for Cobra, Cobra 2 and Vytec, not the Vyper.

You can at least make the Vytec less conservative. I'm looking for comparisons to bottom times in each mode but haven't found one. This is straight from the manual.

The Vytec also allows experienced divers who are willing to accept a
greater level of risk to adjust the RGBM model. The default setting is
RGB100 which gives full (100%) RGBM effect. Suunto strongly advises
to use full RGBM effect. Statistically very experienced divers have less
incidents with DCI. The reason for this is unknown, but it is possible that
some level of physiological and or psychological accommodation can
take place when you are very experienced as a diver. Thus for certain
divers and diving conditions you may want to set attenuated (50%) RGBM
mode (RGB50). See Table 3.6. To advise the diver that attenuated RGBM
has been set, the Diver Attention Symbol is constantly displayed (Table
3.3.)

Yes...ok so someone does know what the lds was talking about. He said this could be done with the Vyper and Yytec but I was interested in talking to the second lds about it but they were too busy and unconcerned about my sale lol. How would I get the promo? I haven't taken a course in 8 years:confused:

I returned your PM. Something to keep in mind all, if you follow the tables, how much need is there for a computer for recreational diving? Not Tec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom