Pimp my scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigken462

Contributor
Reaction score
They say scootering should be fun, so I thought I’d pimp it out to make a fun lookin ride.

341529820_FQYMn-L.jpg

341533888_KYiFC-L.jpg

341527367_vkeMo-L.jpg

Does yielding to an emergency vehicle still apply underwater?. I wonder what underwater LED flashers would look like?

Safe diving,

Kenny

When I read the thread title, I really has something in mind like orange fringe coming off of each side with of course breakaway tabs in case of a snag. The Elton John of diving if you will. LOL

Nice ride.

Lol, yeah I almost added a few other emergency type emblems but figured they would not fair to well with the scuff-n-buffs of moving scuba equipment around. It does need a cpl left and right US flag emblems though. Lol

Thanks,

Kenny

Perhaps the fringe was a bad idea--too long and it wouldn't hold up well. How about a few of these tied on a couple of inches of cave line?

Aquatec LED Mini Light, Flashing from LeisurePro.com

or these. I like them, but I think they might be too large and provide too much drag! LOL Glo-Toob FX Lightstick from LeisurePro.com With these bad boys, you can select any one of seven blinking patterns!

How long do you get off a charge? How fast will it go? Do you like how it handles in the water? What made you decide to get this model?

Nice way to identify your scooter. Silly me, I was just going to put those refective letters on mine. Hmmm I might need to find a " my other ride is a Harley" sticker.

Hi there,

I kind of overrated the subject line some I guess as a cpl of EMS stickers alone is far from pimping, however it was the only thing that came to mind at the time. Lol.

As for what led me to purchase this brand over others? Well I took a serious look at the type of diving I was more likely to be doing and then went from there. The Silent Submersion Scooters have been well proven to be nearly bomb proof. I'm not suggesting the other leading technical scooters aren’t, but these have been very well proven over the years. Another thing was battery life and cost of SLA vs. the expense of NiMH batteries. If I were to be a weekly diver where I could nurture a NiMH battery, or an active boat diver, then NiMH would be the way to go I think now looking back. To tell ya the truth, dragging these two scooters around kicks my tail, however that’s what they make dolly’s for.

You will find that once in the water these are incredibly stable and does not fatigue the hand as much as the smaller scooters do. However with that also comes the price of giving up maneuverability. I’m a large diver of around 300lbs, so when you take that, a set of double 108’s, stage and or deco cylinders you have to ask yourself just how maneuverable am I going to be anyway when it comes to doing barrel rolls, flips and overall scooter scubatics. My reason for the scooter is simply to get from point A to point B and try to have as much fun as I can in between. Lol.

Now, on the other hand, during my DPV course I got to lay hands on the smaller scooters such as the N-19 and the X and they do rock! The X is like a sportster and if you’re into a fast paced wall to wall diving then these smaller scooters are for you.

Looking back I still stand behind my decision to go with the SLA version of the UV-18, and 26 since they have been time tested, and well proven. I do cuss myself generally about the time I haul these from the water’s edge to the dive trailer though. No pain, No gain. Lol.

Safe diving.

Hi there,

you have to ask yourself just how maneuverable am I going to be anyway when it comes to doing barrel rolls, flips and overall scooter scubatics.

That line has youtube written all over it! I think you should get a bubby with a video camera and and cheap lights sticks and films yourself flipping about!

Have you had it in the water yet?

Not as much as one would think, I bought them in late March, and only get to dive every other weekend. Due to me trying to re-tune some other dive skills, I've tried to park the scooter for a while to focus on some other needs in my diving to get ready for some classes.

Kenny

Nice Pimpage!
I would put some curb feelers on it as well.

Hi there,

If I were to be a weekly diver where I could nurture a NiMH battery, or an active boat diver, then NiMH would be the way to go I think now looking back. To tell ya the truth, dragging these two scooters around kicks my tail, however that’s what they make dolly’s for.

You will find that once in the water these are incredibly stable and does not fatigue the hand as much as the smaller scooters do. However with that also comes the price of giving up maneuverability.

Looking back I still stand behind my decision to go with the SLA version of the UV-18, and 26 since they have been time tested, and well proven. I do cuss myself generally about the time I haul these from the water’s edge to the dive trailer though. No pain, No gain. Lol.

Safe diving.

The SS SLA's are a nice stable ride. I certainly appreciate that factor when you have extended rides. That being said I hear you about lifting one of these things on & off. The dollies are nice, but you always get into those situations where you have to lift it onto a boat in a pitching sea. This is where the thing becomes a moving sledgehammer. Luckily, the HDPE doesn't bust to bits when it hits something! Sometimes a davit helps when you have to lift the really big ones like a 26, or Farallon, or Aquazepp.

Best with your new ride!

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom