Dive Report (Summary of the last couple months )from GGD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algulfdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello Divers,
I will make this report a summary of the last couple of months as best I can.
We have had a lot of boat trips and I have not been staying current on reports so here goes...
We have been diving a lot of different sites such as Navy Tug, Ivan's Reef, Pete Tide, YDT's, PC Barge, Tex Edwards Barge, Avocet, Atlantis, USS Massachusetts, Three Coal Barges, Upside Down Barge,
and of course the USS Oriskany, I'm sure I left out a few.
We have swam with Dauphins as well as Sharks and had some Great Dives. We have speared Fish, caught Lobster and taken pictures. We have seen Rays, Octopus and Morays along with schools of many different types of fish. For most of the summer we have seen a murky layer of 30 feet or so and then it has opened up for some fair to good visibility. We think that the reason for this has been the bad storms and abundance of rain that raked havoc in the middle of the country this Spring. Most of that mess came down the Mississippi and into the Gulf. We have had a lot of west winds moving that mess toward us. The water on the surface has been 82 or so but a drastic difference once you get below the murky layer. We have had reports of as low as 67 to 72 degrees. We are suggesting at least a 3 mil wet suit to our customers. We had the Alabama Open Spearfishing tourney this weekend and some good fish were taken , but the word for the visibility was that it was poor most places but not that bad on sites like the Avocet and the Oriskany. Again this has been a strange year, today just 3 days later we are getting pretty good reports and Divers that were on the Oriskany said the vis on Sunday was the best they have seen it in a while.

Other News is that we have had a record amount of Open Water as well as Con Ed classes this Year so we are developing New Dive Sites in the 60 foot and less range to accommodate the new divers.
We will try to keep the Dive Reports posted on a regular bases.

Thanks Gary. I am looking forward to the Oil Rig dive on August 10th!! I hope we will have good vis for that. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom