Diving Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrillhouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're in Bali for another week and I'd love to get some scuba in. I've heard the area is renowned for its diving, but am unsure as to where is good. My girlfriend really wants to spend the rest of our trip in Lovina (we're in Ubud right now) and I'm hoping it's good there. Can anyone recommend me some good places/tell me if Lovina is alright/suggest someplace else that's great?

Cheers,

Jack

Most places, if not all in Lovina head off for day trips to Menjangan National Park. Its about 2 hours away and is quite good diving but full of above water day trippers and snorkellers.

Otherwise you want to do a day trip to Manta Point off Nusa Penida (can leave from Padang Bai) or dive the Liberty wreck in Tulamben, which if I remember correctly, is another long day trip from Lovina. Well worth it though.

If you do end up on the east coast and anyone is offering dives on Nusa Lembongan then they are good too. They are drift dives with a fairly strong current so be sure to dive with a reputable operator. I didn't and someone nearly got killed, namely the 'divemaster' after he took us into a 2 knot current for 15 minutes. I was close to decking him. On the return journey the boat man (can't call him a captain) couldn't get the propeller up and we ran into the boulder pier at full throttle back in Bali.

Eventful day.

We were accosted by a terribly irritating tout in Lovina called "Doky" who wouldn't shut up about his "dive company" or the discounts on rooms he'd give if we dove with him. First he said he was only going out tomorrow so I'd have to sign up immediately, but when I told him I wasn't planning to dive tomorrow anyway he changed the story and said he was going the next day (only) as well. He was terribly aggressive in trying to sell, dishonest, irritating, and not someone I would trust with lugging a fellow diver out of the water to administer spare air. Furthermore, I'll pick an operator based on knowledge, competence, and how accommodating they are, not because they will give me a discount at a nearby hotel. Can anyone recommend reputable dive operators here? This guy was apparently PADI 5 star (how???) and I would not have gotten near a kiddie pool with him. Still, I really want to dive and the Liberty Glo wreck sounds awesome.

for the liberty wreck try tulamben wreck divers, and for general quality diving in Bali try BIDP they have a web site. Overall the diving in Bali is good but not great. have fun

This guy was apparently PADI 5 star (how???) and I would not have gotten near a kiddie pool with him.

The rating system is based on the number of certifications and has nothing to do with the actual quality of instruction. I would go to any of the places Mucksavage suggested. Those are all fantastic dive sites but its been a while since I dove there so I can't recommend a good shop.

You are better offer saying with the larger companies, yes there are some great smaller ones around however it is a bit hit and miss. IF you are planning on diving and also staying in UBUD then don't, you will need to cross the mountains on your return unless you are up for a long drive around the coast to get back to UBUD.

Tulamben Wreck Divers, Talch Terminal, Serya Resort are some good operators on the North EastCoast. Otherwise head to over to Premuteran and dive there. Alternativel head over to Pandang Bai and dive with Absolute Scuba, also check out Bali Hai And Aquamarine as well. All can offer good packages for you.

Sorry to tell you... but if you wanna dive, lovina is not the best place to stay.! Go to pemuteran to dive pemuteran and menjangan... or stay closer to the east - tulamben or amed or padangbai, to dive the east... or stay near sanur to dive lembongan/nusa penida. Lovina is just " famous" if you wanna "chase" dolphins... but you may also see wild dolphins on your boat to lembongan or from your balcony in amed. Well, of course not guaranteed...but at least you don't chase them with boats!

I have heard that Tulamben has great house reef. Has anyone dived that reef? Can you elaborate? I'm planning on doing some dives in Bali soon also.

I have heard that Tulamben has great house reef. Has anyone dived that reef? Can you elaborate? I'm planning on doing some dives in Bali soon also.

Think u r refering to the Liberty wreck, it is a shore dive. It is a wonderful place to dive! Many large bumphead parrotfish, barracuda, schooling travellies, pygmy seahorse & 1 whitetip reefshark :D... The Wall & Coral Garden are also shore dives. Would have to pay extras for boat dives...
Would recommend that you stay at Tulamben, so that u will reach the dive sites early (do 7am dives, before the day trippers). We stayed at Tulamben Wreck Divers, 1 guide to 2 guests. Deluxe room is big n nice. Bring your own dvd/vcds if u miss tv... :rofl3:
The viz was not that good when we were there (1-4 Aug), max was 12-15m. :11doh: Apparently, other divers had 25m viz in Jun & July... Anyway, Aug is Mola Mola season at Nusa Penida. It was really windy at Tulamben...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom