LF: Soft BP/W or Back-inflated BC, Force fins or Jet fins - all small sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemon lime

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I'm looking to get second-hand gear. I do a bit of air travel, so I'm looking for stuff that pack small and light. I prefer wings with about 18lbs lift and a softpack that can also be used for doubles. No preference for the harness.

I'm also really intrigued by the Force Fins. I like the Jet fins but they are a bit to heavy (in the water and for traveling).

Thanks!

I was excited when I saw your FS post. Unfortunately, if it's a medium, it's probably too big for me. I'm about 5'1" and female, not exactly petite, but even some small bcs are too big for me -- in the water, the shoulder straps would float up to my ears. And I'm afraid the crotch straps would just give me wedgies :wink: . I'd be willing to try it if you think it might fit me, though.

lime: if you travel i wouldn't suggest the force fins... light yes, but they're pretty wide so packing would still be a problem...

maybe some mares fins or something would do the trick of performance vs. weight vs. length

the only one i know who has a mega-light wing is chip... 15lb lift or something, then for a light plate you can look at dss.com at their plastic backplates...

as for 2nd hand doubt you'll find many options

Jag

Thanks for the advice, Jag, especially about the Force Fin. You're probably right about looking for 2nd hand tek that's my size, but I thought since I don't really need to buy for the next month or two, I might as well try before going for brand new. Who knows, right? :)

Last edited:
Well, the Zeagle scout is a good travel warm water bcd. It runs around 219$ new. But it's not one for doubles. The tech is set up for singles or doubles but costs a lot more. I have force fins and love traveling with them. I had twin jets and liked them but the force fins are shorter and Much lighter. The width is no problem. I have carried them carryon and in checked baggage. They are actually more compact and easier than anything else out there. I am definitely in love with the force fins. I have used them in strong current and all conditions. They are great.
Have fun. You have a lot of decisions to make. My daughter is small (5 foot and 123lbs) She wears the Scout small And medium quite nicely. The small is an adult small and is spot on for her. Go to a dive shop and try some on. Good luck

Hey lime,

As Jag said, if you like wings I really recommend the 18lb torus wing of deep sea supply along with the kydex backplate. It's small enough for me to travel with it in my [-]school[/-] laptop backpack. However, I'm unsure of the local prices here and how much of a mark up it is compared to ordering it in the US. Another option that might be more fiscally conservative (short of getting second hand gear) is the 18lb razor wing of oxycheq with an aluminum backplate, both which can be found at Diver's Point along Wilson and P. Guevarra in the Greenhills area (They also rent out force fins so you can try packing them for the weekend! :)).

Although finding them second hand might be a problem... oxycheq is so uso nowadays. :)

edit: bah, sorry I missed the part where you said you like softpacks... that would pack easier than a backplate.

Last edited:
Yup, Oxycheq is what I had in mind when I posted. I did get to visit Diver's Point a few weeks ago, as well as Aquaventure Whitetip for Dive Rite -- Oxycheq seems a lot cheaper. I didn't know Diver's Point rented out the force fins, thanks for the tip. I was going to visit Scubaworld in San Juan, but parking's a hassle. Their website seems to feature only Aqualung BCs, but according to Zeagle, they should be Zeagle distributors as well. Can anyone confirm?

Also, to those that order from the US, do you have them delivered by courier, or do friends bring them for you? I ask because I've had bad experiences with being charged a ridiculous amount in taxes for books and cds delivered by courier.

bought my zeagle scout from Scubaworld back in 2004, I don't know if they are still the authorized rep here. (I bought a cummerbund for it in 2005 from Scuba systems in Chicago:) ).

regarding your orders coming from the USA, use ordinary mail or the United States Postal Service. I got lots of books (photography) from Amazon delivered via USPS or ordinary mail, just don't exceed $80 per delivery, and I just pay around P30 to P60, no kid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom