info on gilboa quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slfd68

Reaction score
would like input from any body who has dove gilboa. Going in august. is it worth the 5 hour drive?

For those of us who have never heard of that site, where is it?

gilboa is in northern ohio, it is an old stone quarry that is now a diving site only. several items sunk for diving enjoyment.(cars, bus,helicopter, grumman jet etc.) I have heard it called the divers disneyland.

It's certainly worth it. Gilboa has it all! From lots of very friendly rainbow trout to large paddlefish, a large variety of assorted "wrecks" including an airplane and others than can be safely penetrated to wall diving down to 140' feet, Gilboa is the dive wonderland of the midwest. The water clarity is usually excellent (except for Saturday and Sunday afternoons after the classes have stirred it up). You get a broad range of temperatures due to the large size of the quarry and a variety of depths. The staff are perfect examples of midwestern hospitality and the price is very cheap ($10 entrance, $5 fills, and an assortment of good food at good prices). I often drive the 2.5 hours from my home to visit there, especially when weather is bad on the Lakes. This place is made for divers and the facilities are outstanding from suiting up platforms and tables to free hot private showers afterwards. My only suggestion is that if you plan to visit on a weekend between May-October, you do most of your diving before noon. The quarry is big but it's also very popular. After you're done diving, you can climb on one of the better artifical walls in the region if you like heights as much as depths. You can also camp several feet from the quarry for a good price.

Our Open Water class dove Gilboa today, Sunday, 22 Jul 2001. The site has several entry points with great access. We got there around noon and still had 40-50 feet of visibility (better than at France Lake on Saturday)and were able to set our gear up under some shade trees with a picnic table nearby for our surface intervals, all right on the shoreline. Under the North America diving thread there is a link on the thread about the airplane that was just sunk in April, and the Gilboa website has some great aerial photos of the quarry. It was a 2.5 hour drive for us, and we are looking forward to going again.

Surface temp was 77F, at 35ffw temp was 65F, and I understand that below 67ffw the temp was around 51F. The staff was great, and some fellow students (who stayed in the campgrounds last night) said the campsite wasn't bad either.

Those trout were huge, and the staff is glad to give you clues on where to look for the paddlefish. The plane sits at around 35-40 feet.
tyki

Back
Top Bottom