oceanic geo vs nitek duo vs aeris manta computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myScubaLogin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

was interested to get opinions on these 3 watches. I am a beginner diver but would like something for long term. Wireless integration and AP is not needed (have a pressure gage). I do want something for nitrox, good display and with some kind of light.
thank you.

I can only speak about the Geo & the Nitek Duo. I know nothing of the Mantis. The Geo is a watch- sized basic air/ nitrox computer. The Nitek Duo is a bit bigger than watch size, but has larger face making the read outs a bit easier to see. The duo also has the option of doing 2 gas (Nitrox) switches. Another basic air/ nitrox computer at a reasonable price is the Suunto Gekko. It is also a larger face wrist computer & has all the same features of the Geo except it can't be down loaded to a desk/ lap top computer & it doesn't have a back light (on night dives you must shine your light on it to get it to glow in the dark to see it).

Hello all,

was interested to get opinions on these 3 watches. I am a beginner diver but would like something for long term. Wireless integration and AP is not needed (have a pressure gage). I do want something for nitrox, good display and with some kind of light.
thank you.

The Geo and the Manta are the exact same computer with a different name printed on them. They are watch sized single gas nitrox computers with a very readable display (I don't need my cheater lenses to read them) for the size. The Duo is a larger two gas nitrox computer. All three of them have a very good backlight. I have several hundred dives on both a Tusa IQ700 (same Seiko computer as the Duo) and a Manta. I prefer the Manta as a recreational computer since I have no use for the second gas on the Duo in that setting. I also don't like the fact that your gases reset on the Duo at Midnight every night. The Manta is a set it and forget it computer. The Duo/Tusa is also much more conservative than the Manta/Geo. I bought my Tusa way before the Manta came out and honestly see little reason to buy one now since there are so many small 3 gas computers. If I were looking for a computer that could be used as both a recreational and light technical computer, I'd hold out for a three gas computer.

The Duo is a good wrist PDC, but it may have more tec-oriented features (multi-gas monitoring) than you need. If you like Dive Rite, they have a watch-size computer more like the Geo/Manta (as mentioned, they are the same computer). The Nitek Plus is a more direct match to the Geo. More of a watch size, and actually has a watch mode for when you are done with diving. It is sized like the Geo/Manta, and they share a lot of the same features. (Watch mode, PC-downloadable, nitrox-capable, user-friendly, and so on). If you have a nearby LDS, I'd try to check them out in person and play with them some, see which has the interface you like the best.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Few more questions. What would be the use (on Duo) with 2 gases? Is this basically if you want to use Air and nitrox OR 2 different mixes of nitrox on the same dive? Would this be applicable only to deco type dive?
Can all off these do deco dives?

Looks like Plus is featurewise the same as Duo, but Duo is larger and can be removed from wrist band. I'll definitely check out the plus - thanks for the tip.

Also, there are a number of computers with one button only (Geo, aeris xr1) - does this work well? On the other hand, Manta has multiple buttons but costs ~$100 more. Is there more to it than more buttons and different display?

Thanks for taking the time out to help :)

The Geo and the Manta both have four button interfaces. The buttons are around the bezel. You might be looking at the Veo computers.

Dual gas monitoring means you can have profiles keeping track of different mixes at the same time. Like you suggested, mainly useful for tec divers with multiple gases.

The interfaces for the geo/manta are identical. Pricing is mainly different just because Oceanic/Aeris brands are on two different plans. They are genuinely identical in every way except color.

I didn't mention this above because all three of the original computers mentioned have user replaceable batteries. The Nitek Plus (the Dive Rite "watch" sized computer) does not have a user replaceable battery. IMO, this is a deal breaker on any dive computer.

I have a Nitek plus.It is a small-sized computer and also does 2-gas like the duo.I really like it and had zero problems in 3 years.If you arent doing excellerated deco on a separate o2 bottle,simply leave mix 2 blank when setting mix 1.I like the dive log on the plus which gives you average depth as well as max depth obtained.

Also I like the fact that the mix set,resets to zero at midnight so the next day you can reset it accordingly for that day.It will let you know by beeping continuously if you forget.It will take you through deco on the mix1 if you dont have a deco bottle.Iplan on getting a duo next month for a backup.

Back
Top Bottom