Suunto D4 - Looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBBrian

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a fairly new diver looking to buy a dive computer. I have read a lot about the various algorithms and to me it seems that the RGBM might have some benefits. It seems like the research behind it is valid and prevention of micro-bubbles might have some merit. However, if someone knows of some research comparing the models, please let me know.

As a result, I have been looking at Suunto's line of computers. I haven't been able to find much on these boards about them. Does anyone have a D4, D6, or D9 that they have been pleased with? What do you not like about them?

I am considering getting a D4 at this time. I would like to upgrade to an air integrated model after I am able to purchase the rest of my equipment. However, I think that the D4 would be a good start.

I had researched the D4 and D6 a few weeks ago and ultimately ruled out the D4, as I was concerned about the plastic nature of the watch. It just seemed a bit too flimsy for my taste. However, I did like the D6, which includes a compass. Ironically, I opted for neither computer, as I have a real issue having to send the device back to the manufacturer just to have the battery replaced. As I said previously on this board, that is one hassle in my life that I can avoid. I also considered the Mares Nemo, but it lacked surface interval, which is unheard of in dive computers. My local dive shop carried the Oceanic Geo, which is what I ended up going with. With that said, I really did like the D6, but the lack of user replaceable battery replacement was the deal breaker for me.

I really did like the D6, but the lack of user replaceable battery replacement was the deal breaker for me.

And the fact that you have to sync it with every use. The compass may as well not even be on there. Also, given the conservative nature of its algorithm...I find the Suunto line not the market for me.

SBBrian, while your investigating the Suunto's, check out the Oceanic Atom 2.0. If you're into the watch style dive computers, the Atom may be worthwhile to look into.

Most people have found that the built in compass is not very useful. I tried the D6 dry and did not like the matrix display. I currently use a D3 and Vytec. I have not found them to be too conservative. With some you can set the algorithm to 50%.

Why is the compass not useful on the D6? I have considered it as well.

I really do like the Oceanic/Aeris product. My friend has one of the hoseless Oceanic watches and really likes it. However, I guess I think it's weird that not all of these computers use the same algorithm.

In my research the past couple days, it does seem that the RGBM has the potential to be more accurate than the Haldanean model. If RGBM were an option on the Oceanic products, I would not be having this debate.

In the end, I might wind up incorporating ideas from the RGBM (slower than normal ascents, and deep stops) into my diving and diving with a computer using a Haldanean model. At any rate.. it seems I am getting very mixed messages on the Suunto watches.

The built in compass is sensitive to tilt when compared to the Suunto SK-7 which is one of the best analog compasses. The compass switches back to dive mode after a minute. You also have to switch to it. I often want a quick glance at mine. I think the integrated compass on all computers are less than useful.

In general I am not a fan of dive watches though I own a D3 it is for tec diving.

Back
Top Bottom