PADI made me giggle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead

Contributor
Reaction score
Rather than hijack this thread even further, I decided to start a new one about continuing dive education.

Let me preface this by saying that I mean no offense to any PADI DM's and/or instructors on the board. We have some well respected individuals that contribute here, but I think everyone would acknowledge that the dive-professional path isn't for everyone.

What O-Ring, Spectre, and Ken were saying in that thread about becoming a DM and/or instructor really struck a chord with me. I love diving, but I can see how DMing and teaching could burn a person out on diving in general. Spectre, the skiing analogy is perfect, I saw it happen with my sister.

What I find interesting, though, is that in my divng experience, whether you're cut out for being a dive pro or not, you're generally going to get a nudge in that direction (gentle or otherwise) if you show any kind of skill and/or enthusiasm for diving.

After I completed Rescue training through PADI, there was all kinds of pressure to become a DM. Lots of ego-stroking and encouragement, and in retrospect, it really felt like a Pyramid Scheme sales pitch. More Instructors = more DMs = more students = more classes = more gear = more fees, etc.

At the time, my wife was due with our second child, so it wasn't an option for me to take DM, and probably just as well too. I don't think it would have served to further my personal goals in diving, which are: 1. To become a more skilled, safer diver, and 2. To dive more often. I don't know that helping in the pool twice a week and occasionally resting on my knees in silted-out open water would really serve my purposes that well. So yeah, it clearly wasn't for me.

But, the reason I started this thread is that I got something in the mail a few weeks ago from PADI that made me laugh, and I thought I would share. It's been a while since I completed Rescue, and they probably have a regularly scheduled "reminder" for students like me that don't continue along the PADI path. Well, especially after reading this material, I've decided that their path leads someplace I don't want to go right now.

This is what the poster said:
It's the prestige of ownership. It's knowing that no one will ever question your diving ability. It's knowing you get paid for doing something you love. It's the black card. Learn more about diving and attain a higher level of certification by completing the PADI Divemaster course. Learn how to supervise divers, assist with training, and manage accidents. Hone your diving skills while becoming a more confident and reliable diver.
Get your black card and all of the prestige and confidence that goes with it. Take charge, chart a course for adventure! Go Pro.
:laugh:
So, PADI is telling me that if I go through your course and get the esteemed BLACK CARD that "nobody will ever question my diving ability again??" :rolleyes: So, let's say for example, that a PADI DM were to suck his tank down to 300 psi @ 90 fsw before beginning his ascent, I shouldn't "question his ability" because he's a PADI DM? Puh-leaze! :rolleyes: (this actually happened, by the way)

And, as further enticement to continue onto DM, there was a coupon for a FREE PADI Hat and Pro bag! Wooo!!! :rolleyes: If anybody wants it, feel free to PM me.

The truth is that there is probably a lot of good knowledge that a person learns while taking the course, and because I'm always up for learning more about my interests, I may just buy the PADI DM coursebook and just learn. But as far as earning "the black card," PADI didn't goad me into it this time by prodding my fragile ego. But maybe if they offer a free Gavin instead of the hat . . .

Rick

P.S. On second thought, as far as the books, I'll buy Vance Harlow's reg maintenance and oxy-hacking tomes instead. :)

chickdiver once bubbled...
ROFLMAO- The "Black Card" that is sooo classic.

The "black card" made me think about the "black lists" of the Mcarthy era. Humm...

also, I just finished a NAUI DM course and I learned a lot (yes I know they are different). If you don't want to take the class, I would recommend buying the book to improve your skills and situational awareness. Remember though, just because you may have the esteemed black card doesn't mean you have to work as a DM.

just my 2 1/2 cents :D =-) :D

"Get paid for doing something you love." :Rolf: That Highly Esteemed Black Card never earned me a crying dime!

Walter's right...ya just gotta laugh.....:rolleyes:

If you look between the marketing hype you’ll find, “Learn how to supervise divers, assist with training, and manage accidents. Hone your diving skills while becoming a more confident and reliable diver.” That sounds good to me!

So far, after the first class room and pool session it looks like my instructors or going to deliver. I have no inclination to become an instructor, at least at this point, but I would like to be able to lead a group of divers including newly certified divers, on a trip, even if it’s only to Millbrook, and make the their experience safer and more fun. I’m sure there are other paths to get there but the DM course is the best I’ve found.

Don’t waste your money on a PADI DM Course book; it’s mostly PADI propaganda and advertisements. The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving is better but way over priced. Best of all is the workbook that’s only $16, must be a mistake. By the time you get done buying all the books and paying for the course the free hat cost $600 dollars, but you’ve also got the black card! Oh no, I’m being cynical … its contagious!

Mike

Mike, thanks for the insight on the books. That's great to know.

MikeS once bubbled...
. . . but I would like to be able to lead a group of divers including newly certified divers, on a trip, even if it’s only to Millbrook, and make the their experience safer and more fun. . .

Please don't get me started on the whole liability issue brought on by being a DM and "leading dives". Ayayayayay. :(

I admire you for wanting to help people, but before you take newbies under your wing, remember that if someone has an accident, even through no fault of yours, it might be your booty in the legal sling.

If I were you out at the quarry, I wouldn't wear a DM patch or hat, nor would I show that card around unnecessarily. :hiding:

Just my $.02

Yep it's marketing. Where do the AOW students come from? The OW students. Where do the rescue students come from? The AOW students. PADI sends out advertisement like and it works. Where I have my biggest problem with it is when it comes to the proffessional levels. I don't actively market the DM course and in fact turn down a few who want the class here and there.

But...I still say that it would be a good thing if some of you folks who don't want to kneel on the bottom went pro. I really think diving needs more good divers (especially DM and instructors) as a contrast otherwise nobody will ever know the difference.

Every once in a while after one of my posts where I talk about all the lousy divers someone will point out that it isn't that bad where they dive. Sometimes I almost start to think that somehow it is worse at some of the places around here because of the large (mass production shops) shops that have access. that isn't the case though. I was at Vortex springs this past weekend and, oh boy, the things I saw. When we came out of the cave there were a bunch of OW divers STANDING around watching. Later while I was milling around the spring between 15 and 20 ft finishing up my decompression I just watched. The basin was pretty well silted out. There wasn't anyone there who had a clue. there was one diver who looked like she was in trouble and I moved closer just in case. She was plastered to the bottom working very hard to swim up. She ended up swimming along with her head up and her feet still in the bottom. When she came to an obstruction she just sort of climbed over it. Believe it or not she was wearing huge ankle weights.

Think it's just recreational diving? A few weeks ago the van broke down on the way to Florida. While I was stuck in a hotel playing with the TV remote I came accross a show about the Navy Seals (I think). Anyway it was some military dive group. They showed the whole training process which included a huge amount of stress training and harassment. All while kneeling on the bottom. When the training was over they showed these guys at work in the water. They looked just like the diver I described above. As they worked they were neg buoyant kicking like crazzy just to keep from sinking. It's agood thing they are in good shape because the way they dive it's big time work. I couldn't believe it.

Some here on the board have refered to the lost art of diving. I have disagreed and pointed out that you can't lose what you never had. The need and desire for real control in the water started with cave diving and is just now spreading to OW recreational diving in a big way. The industry didn't have it and lose it they haven't figured it out yet.

Mike, Based on your posts, I've always thought of you as a credit to your SCUBA-instructing and dive-shop-owning peers, and your post above just reinforces that for me.

Sadly, of the people who were in my PADI classes, the 3 who went on to DM and 1 who became an instructor were in my estimation, the bottom of the class in capabilities. The "future instructor" wasn't even in adequate physical condition to finish the rescue class, though she got a pat on the head and the PADI card afterward anyway. Not to mention the fact that she couldn't even gear up with her horribly overweighted Zeagle poodle-jacket without some considerable help.

You're right that examples like that don't bode well for some unfortunate future students, but like any significant change - the best chance for success is if it comes from the top. But how likely is that scenario in the world of PADI?

I think the true hope for teaching diving skills the right way is <drumroll> GUE. It will be interesting to see if and when they do come out with an OW course, and how much they're willing to compromise to stay in-line with the vast majority of gear manufacturers' designs (i.e. the money and the power that drive diving).

I figure if instructors like you are out there, then there's at least hope. Keep up the good work.

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom