Question on Caribbean Explorer 1 to Bahamas.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carnell04

Reaction score
What is the deal with the luggage delays? I think it is a great deal for the money but to have to go Fri to spend the night in George Town stinks. How many have flew in on Saturday and had no problem with luggage? I can't carry on my scuba bag because it is too big. I guess I could carry on one with must have stuff. Any help would be appreciated because this extra day could make the difference.

We flew in on a Saturday on American Eagle. The plane was delayed big-time leaving Miami but all the luggage arrived and we were able to go directly to the boat and board as planned. Most the people on the boat that week had the same flights as we did on American Eagle.

If I were doing it again, I'd book my flight out on the final Friday afternoon instead of having to kill Friday afternoon and evening and all Saturday morning in Georgetown, where there is little of interest. The Explorer gets back to the dock by 11am on the Friday, so you have plenty of time to make an afternoon flight. You'd have to skip the Friday AM dives (5:30 and 7:30 as I recall), but you get home a day early and save having to buy a mediocre dinner in Georgetown.

If you're on a smaller plane it's always a bit of a crapshoot. It's going to depend on how crowded the flight is but American Eagle seems apt to leave stuff behind for another flight if they don't have space, same with any airline flying smaller planes. (Have not been on AE to Bahamas but experienced this on other routes.)

When you're meeting a liveaboard, it's a decision you always have to make - fly in close to the departure and take a chance of a delay that means you or your luggage miss the boat, or play it safe and take an extra day. So, if I were going through say Miami on a summer day (often all screwed up by thunderstorms), on a smaller plane that is likely to be full and might not have room for all the checked luggage, with layovers that are kind of short, yeah I'd consider going the day before. If I was going someplace on a big jet in the spring and the schedule wasn't too tight, then I wouldn't worry.

There are cases where boats will wait some if they can, depending what's going on. And of course for a price you can usually find a way to get out to a boat that has left, but probably not something you want to do.

We did the CEX1 last July and American left all our bags in Miami. We flew in on Saturday and they did not get our bags to us until Sunday afternoon. Fortunately, the CEX1 folks went back to the airport using their small tender and got our bags for us. When we do the CEX1 again (and we will -- FANTASTIC trip), we'll come in a day early. That's actually my plan for any liveaboard now. I've been on 6 liveaboards and my luggage was delayed a full 50% of them.

JP

Did this boat on July12 -19 2008 had a great time. Got on the plane seen my bags:D and when we landed no bags:confused: they took them off :panicbutton: then the airport called the boat and said the bags where in:D So we call a cab and go to the airport when we got there it was closed:losecool: So we went back to the boat the Capt. was not happy . And at 6 foot 6 inch. that was not good. got the bags the next day went diving did all the dive they had. WHAT A GREAT TIME.:D

I flew in on a Saturday, but that was a direct flight from Atlanta on Delta. It was my connection flight but I watched my bag get loaded. There was a guy on the boat who did not get any of his dive gear... until we got back. Now that would suck. Certainly not the Explorer's fault. The airline industry has really turned into a joke.

Bruce

Back in March I flew in on Sat with no problems....went out of Nashville on Southwest picked up my bags, checked back in with Gulfstream International (Continental partner)....and on to George Town....
Yarg

We have done this twice now... The first time we flew in a day early (yeah, we read the cautionary notices in the Explorer website and took heed) and of course, we had no problems. (With the luggage, that is. Tropical storm Noel trapped all of us in Georgetown for virtually the entire week:mooner:, but that is another story) When we flew out, however, American Eagle was almost 3 hours late getting to the island. Now I know why there was about a 4 1/2 hour layover in Miami before my next flight. :mooner::mooner: No luggage was misplaced, and when we went again last April, we decided that we had had enough of dear Georgetown and cut it close with Saturday flights in and out. Absolutely no problems, either. Like everyone says, it's a crapshoot. You pays yer money and takes yer choice (chance?) And for what they charge to hop over there from Miami-:shakehead: Lots of luck- Woody

Last year my buddy & I went a day early. Our luggage did arrive with us, which was a big relief. We stayed at Club Peace & Plenty. While the resort was OK, that Fri. night was not fun. They have a live DJ playing VERY loud music most of the night in the courtyard (all rooms connect to the courtyard). So either you had to be a VERY sound sleeper or have earplugs. The only saving grace was for us a thunderstorm that hit about 1:00am & shut the DJ down. There are a few other resorts there in or near Georgetown. The favorite we saw (& ate dinner at the end of the trip) was St. Francis Resort. They're a bit pricier than some of the others, but being across the sound, it's off the beaten path & much quieter. I did a Blackbeard's cruise the year before & arrive the day the boat left. Because of delays, I made it 45 min. before the boat left (talk about cutting it close & seating bullets). I'm doing Blackbeard's again this year & going a day early, just so I don't have to worry about skidding in last minute. The extra day is worth not having to worry.

Arrived on Saturday afternnoon - no problems.

Washington, DC - Nassau American. => Nassau - G'town Bahama Air.

Actually liked going through Nassau coming back as there is US Customs and security check for passengers flying direct to National Airport in DC. Arrived DCA, got luggage and went home.

CXI - great time

NAIBDiver1

Back
Top Bottom