White lies told by your LDS when you first started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't want this to be an LDS bashing post, but I was thinking about some of the stuff that I was told by my LDS when I was first taking my OW, that I now know is a load of crap. It makes me laugh now.

My favorite:
"It would be foolish to go with any other agency but PADI, because a lot of places won't let you dive without a PADI card"

Others:
"Most places won't let you dive without advanced OW, so you had better register for that right away."

"You can't take any other agency course such as nitrox, because they won't accept your padi OW card - you'll have to take the SSI OW first"

Darryl

It would be foolish to go with any other agency but PADI, because a lot of places won't let you dive without a PADI card

I was actually told that as something that PADI tries to say. I thought they were just pulling my leg to get me to sign up with NAUI.

:rofL:

"The most important thing about scuba is looking cool." (In other words, make sure your gear is color coordinated.)

and

"You don't want to go deep. There's nothing good to see below 60 ft anyway."

You shouldn't confuse new OW students by trying to teach them bouyancy they have enough to worry about already. Besides, you can't teach bouyancy, you have to learn it through experience.

There is less air in your tank as you go deeper because it compresses.

Re: semi-dry suits. Anything with seals in it will cost at least $800 usd.

No shop will work on your gear if you buy it through the Internet.

NAUI is almost dead. You hardly see them anymore.

Stiff fins give you more power. The stiffer they are the more power you have.

"Son, I suggest you buy yourself one of these Spare Air canisters right here. There's no better money you can spend in diving."

:rolleyes:

At the time, I didn't know any better, but lucky me, I was too poor to be able to "afford" his advice.

"You don't want to go deep. There's nothing good to see below 60 ft anyway."

That's a good one!

My personal favorite so far is

"The split fins are ten times better than the Jets in the silt, and they propel you better too."

I had to laugh right there in front of them. I took my regs in for service recently and they said

"You're gonna choke yourself with that cord around your neck, it's not safe."

Once again I had to laugh.

"This ScubaPro BC is the best one out there."
-In reference to a ScubaPro X-Tek I was tricked into buying.

"Split fins are great, they're the wave of the future!"
-Certainly not the case at all.

"You'll need a snorkel!"
-Sure I will...

"This is an AIR computer, later you can buy an NITROX computer."
-Why not just sell me the NITROX one to begin with...ripped me off bigtime.

"Backplate? Why do you want that?"
-They don't make money on them so, they are ignored.

My dive shops were pretty good, only "white lie" that I can remember them telling me was "Diving is not an expensive sport"

:wacko: That's the biggest whopper I've heard yet!!!

runvus4 once bubbled...
My dive shops were pretty good, only "white lie" that I can remember them telling me was "Diving is not an expensive sport"

runvus4 once bubbled...
"Diving is not an expensive sport"

Yeah, I was told that too. Maybe it is the funniest of it all... :D

But a funny one was - "Why do you want to buy weights ?" (TRUE - but the girl was not a diver herself. I just can't figure out why they recruit non-diver people to sell diving gear... :confused: )

Back
Top Bottom