Maui - 5 Caves / 5 Graves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psinyc

Reaction score
Can anyone who dove this site comment on:

how far is the swim out?

how intricate are the caves (are they big enough for more than 1 person, well lighted, etc.)?

what is the max depth?

how is visibility, and does the tide/waves kick up sand in caves?

anything else that's interesting, or other notable Maui shore dives other than Black Rock?

thanks .......

I just dove that site two weeks ago. The cave we went in was big enough for 5 divers, and we poked our heads up into the air pocket. We did this dive from a boat, but it wasn't very far off shore at all. I imagine that getting there from shore is no big deal.

In the cave there was a pretty large reef shark that we disturbed- having 5 divers block its exit wasn't very friendly. Over all, I really enjoyed the 5 caves dives because there were nice arches to dive through, frogfish and octupi.

My favorite dive was nearby, called Marty's reef. I'm not sure how to get to it, though.

Hi --

I dive this site often. It's a great shore dive.

How far is the swim out? It depends -- If you start at the 5 graves side... you can come out cove and descend and bear immediately to the left (south) and follow the wall. Or, from the other side... at Makena Landing, enter at the beach, I like to swim out until I am even with the flag pole on the point -- I don't know distance -- but it seems that it is about a five miunte leisurely swim -- dropping down there will put you in 15 - 20 feet -- and swim to the right (north).

You can also take more of a straight line out from either entry towards a large Turtle cleaning station.

There are many caves, certainly more than five and each are different. The most are fairly straight forward.

The one that dfepeman described is called the 'bubble cave' There is also something called the toilet bowl which is an old lava tube that has skylights in it. There is another small cave, known as the shark cave that is really not much more than a wide ledge.

The last time I was there, I was with some fairly new divers who did not want to go into a cave, so we agreed to just look from the openings. Well, just inside the bubble cave were four white tipped reef sharks, lined up like magazines on a rack. They were each between 4 and 6 feet long. The one closest to us was having his many teeth cleaned by two small Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasses. (these fish are about three or four INCHES long). The shark is holding it's mouth wide open and the fish are flitting around doing their job. Then, you see the mouth close... and even though I knew that all was fine, I couldn't help but be a little worried for the wrasses. The sharks gills open up, and I could barely see the wrasses working inside. And then, the shark's whole body shutters, the mouth pops open and PATOOOOIE!!! the two little wrasses come flying out, almost tumbling over one another. As the human audience, we were laughing so hard we almost choked!

What is max depth -- It depends on how far out you want to go -- the caves are all along the shore so sre typically in the 10 - 20 foot range. The turtle cleaning station is about 40' at it's max. Martys Reef that dfepeman mentioned is out at about 60' max.

Visibility -- over the entire site varies with weather... could range typically from a low of about 30 to 80 feet. In my experience, in the caves, the only noticeable "stirring" is done by divers.

Other notable Maui Shore dives: Tons along the South Shore... White Rock, Holoa Point, Keawakopuu Beach, Ahihi Cove.... Depends on what you want -- I suggest you check my previous posts (I psot a lot about Maui) I also suggest that you contact Maui Dreams Dive Co (you can find them at www.mauidreamsdiveco.com ) They are experts on south shore diving.

Also, feel free to message me for more info if you want.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom