INFO: Can someone please elaborate on the rules for lobstering aside from size in MA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davilo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there a good readable source for understanding what can be done and not done bringing lobsters to shore with respect to Mass Envir Police? 1st. Not sure where the rule book is and 2nd.....it seems these police are not well coached in communication.

My dive buddies and I had a run in with 3 this weekend, 2 undercover and 1 in uniform. When are you supposed to measure lobsters? Can you get to shore, measure and dump or does it have to be when putting in the bag? Every time I meet these guys....they always have their own rules....engagement is never consistent. I understand the need to police, but don't they really have something better to do? Most of us abide by rules but police just assume the worst and some have a chip on their shoulders....gives public service a bad name...sorry guyz but its true.

Thanks for your help,
-David

I measure at depth. Just hold the bug down with one hand and measure with the other. i keep my guage on a retractor to make it easier. Anything that's very close either way, I let go as its not worth it. I also stopped taking legal softies as they usually don't survive the trip home. I definately don't measure for the first time on shore. I'm not sure if the EP can verify your catch before you exit the water though.

Search this forms there are a number good threads:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne.../241258-lobster-permits-north-shore-cape.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-england-lobsta-divahs/114792-lobstering-question.html

Matt also has a very good primer at the PGdive site:

Welcome to PG Dive. Snorkel and Scuba Outfitters. Private Scuba Instruction, PADI classes, Boston Scuba, Newton, Scuba Equipment

Is there a good readable source for understanding what can be done and not done bringing lobsters to shore with respect to Mass Envir Police? 1st. Not sure where the rule book is and 2nd.....it seems these police are not well coached in communication.

My dive buddies and I had a run in with 3 this weekend, 2 undercover and 1 in uniform. When are you supposed to measure lobsters? Can you get to shore, measure and dump or does it have to be when putting in the bag? Every time I meet these guys....they always have their own rules....engagement is never consistent. I understand the need to police, but don't they really have something better to do? Most of us abide by rules but police just assume the worst and some have a chip on their shoulders....gives public service a bad name...sorry guyz but its true.

Thanks for your help,
-David

You definitely need to measure BEFORE leaving the water, but you should get into the habit of measuring and discarding right after catching them. Also, discarding a "short" at the surface or far away from where you caught them leaves them open for predators. We need every lobster to grow up big and strong.

Also, get in the habit of measuring both eyes on a close taker. I was measured by the EP once and it was short! I watched as the cop's gauge was off the shell... I thought I would be arrested. Then he measured the other side and it was on! I'll never do that again. Not worth the stress!

FWIW, the EP watch you through binoculars as you come in from a dive and unload your lobsters into your cooler. They may even count the lobsters you put into the cooler. Then when they approach you 10-15 mins later, they'll ask if you took any lobsters, but they already know. Always measure your lobsters underwater, check for eggs and for a V-notch, and you should be fine.

Here in CT they hide behinde rocks and trees waiting for you to come ashore. Thay ask in a playfull voice " you get anything good"? How was the dive?. Then they search your vehicle and gear. Sometime they search our veicles and gear before a dive as they think we are just about to do our second dive.

But in a response to thier playful questions I usually say "We are only photographing the sealife". As I rarely eat or catch lobsters and have not done so for years.

Best to measure them before putting them in the bag and re-measuring them just before exiting the water.

Also our V-notch strategy is working well in CT according the latest data that I have not seen but word of mouth in the office supports.

I still insist its the butter people like not the lobster. They are just catching lobster to put on thier butter :wink:

Good practice to measure again once ashore and discard any that are marginal. Just not worth the hassle. Also, make sure that any separate claws have a matching legal size bug or they will be considered a short.
Jim

I still insist its the butter people like not the lobster. They are just catching lobster to put on thier butter :wink:

What about those of us who prefer the lobster without butter... baked stuffed is good, fried is of course delicious, you can't go wrong with a bisque, and the parboiled grilled lobster with Yucatan hot sauce from last years' Lovell's trip was awesome!

I'm glad to see that article is still proving useful!

What about those of us who prefer the lobster without butter... baked stuffed is good, fried is of course delicious, you can't go wrong with a bisque, and the parboiled grilled lobster with Yucatan hot sauce from last years' Lovell's trip was awesome!

I'm glad to see that article is still proving useful!

Mmmm, that reminds me, I gotta go shopping for this year's Yucatan Recado Sauce ingredients.

Any chance you can make it Matt?

What about those of us who prefer the lobster without butter...

I'm with you there, I never put anything on my lobster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom