The wall @ Ft Wetherill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Did a search but couldn't find the thread discussing how to find and dive the wall.
I remember it had maps and arrows showing where to enter.
Need help with the info. Plan on diving it this week if all goes well.

Scubasarus. I remember doing one that was 88' last year with you in August. I think that's the one I'd like to do.

I may be available in two weeks to do that dive (Im longing to get back to Ft Wetherill at the end of August or maybe in 2 weeks to do some tropical fish hunting and some deep clear dark diving).

Unless its Bull Point, I assume you want to go to the Southern point of the island. Easiest way is to take the left cove and snorkle out to the gap (between the island and the coves). Head out in a southernly direction keeping the rocks to your right while going deeper as you round the tip of the island. Its important to maintain contact with the rocky ledge for navigation purposes.

If you find the wall and progress along it at 90 ft it will eventually taper up to nothing but sand at 50 ft. Head 5 ticks to the right of north and you should find the ledge again and follow it back in. You may find the overhangs at 30 ft on your way in.

Chris, is there any time when the dive is not worth it due to currents? Thanks for the info.

Currents are tough there especially if you have aflag. We are usually able to negatively weight ourselves and pull ourselves along on the rocks. If you have a current against you at the start you usually drift at the end and visa versa. So we have always dove the island regardless of currents. Bull Point is different as its near the channel and the currents seem more intense.

You can always turn back at the Island and head in to the coves.

Did a search but couldn't find the thread discussing how to find and dive the wall.
I remember it had maps and arrows showing where to enter.
Need help with the info. Plan on diving it this week if all goes well.

If you end up doing a Wetherell dive please post a report, esp regarding the vis. It's been pretty bad for a month (though haven't been there in ~2 weeks) so would love to know when it clears up again.

Sure thing BGF.

Thanks Chris. Very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom