anyone know of smallish (30-40') vessels that do short liveaboards in Keys/Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dustinp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am new to the area. I am actually in the process of buying a lot in the Lower Keys? I was wondering if anyone knows of charters for 3-5 day cruise/dive excursions for small groups of people (2-4) around the Keys, Dry Tortugas, Cay Sal, Anguilla Cays, etc.

I believe the Gulf Stream Eagle is docked up by Spencer Slate's operation in Key Largo. There are a couple of others in the Key west area.

A buddy of mine had things all set up for three days on a live aboard to the Dry Tortugas. He arrived, and was told that they had canceled the trip (or maybe the canceled on him a couple days before he left) because a couple of divers backed out. They would not go out with just a few divers, they wanted a full boat, or divers willing to pay what it takes to make the trip worthwhile.

If you have the bucks, I'm sure you can find a live aboard for 2~4 divers. I personally don't know of any op that would go out with so few at standard rates.

I am new to the area. I am actually in the process of buying a lot in the Lower Keys? I was wondering if anyone knows of charters for 3-5 day cruise/dive excursions for small groups of people (2-4) around the Keys, Dry Tortugas, Cay Sal, Anguilla Cays, etc.

The Playmate and the Ultimate Getway both do liveboards to the Tortugas. If you're in the lower keys, you'd want to try the Playmate as it's a closer drive. The Getaway departs out of Ft Myers.

I've heard the Spree is moving there full time sometime.

I don't see how you could do a 3-5 day trip to Cay Sal. you'd spend the whole time traveling, especially since you have to hit Bimini to clear Bahamian customs and fight the gulf stream part of the way down.

I believe the Gulf Stream Eagle is docked up by Spencer Slate's operation in Key Largo. There are a couple of others in the Key west area.

That was just a short term thing. They've moved back north to West Palm I think.

A buddy of mine had things all set up for three days on a live aboard to the Dry Tortugas. He arrived, and was told that they had canceled the trip (or maybe the canceled on him a couple days before he left) because a couple of divers backed out. They would not go out with just a few divers, they wanted a full boat, or divers willing to pay what it takes to make the trip worthwhile.

If you have the bucks, I'm sure you can find a live aboard for 2~4 divers. I personally don't know of any op that would go out with so few at standard rates.

I've heard other people had that happen to them on the Tortugas trips and it was pretty common for if the captain didn't fill the boat he wouldn't go. Solution to that is to book the trip through a dive shop that has chartered the entire boat. That way you've got more assurance that it'll go.

yeah. It's not feasible to run a dive boat with that few customers unless the rates are greatly increased. Either that or charter a different kind of boat.

We chartered a 41' sailboat once and was happy with it. Not a dive boat by any means, but he did have a few tanks on board. We didn't dive but maybe once a day and had to come into port for airfills, so it limits it if you really want a true dive liveaboard.

The reason I ask is because I am planning to buy a lot near Key West soon and I am also looking for a 30-34' express cruiser. I was contemplating starting a company that could do 1-4 day trips around the Keys/Tortugas. I was also planning on Cay Sal but I wasn't aware of the issue with the Bahamian Gov. At any rate, my sister is a Dive Master and I was planning on having her work for me. I know this is very premature but any input would be greatly appreciated. Do you think there would be a market for small groups to go out on that type of boat for a bit more money? I could get them places faster, more individual attention, and if someone were to say "Hey, lets go over there" I could. . . not like the herd of cattle on some dive boats. . . . Anyway, just some thoughts, let me know what you all think, thanks, Dustin

I think it's certainly worth looking into. However in the upper keys, the reef is five miles out, and there is a LOT of reef which is why most boat ops cater to half day trips.

A 30~40' boat is not much for the open ocean, so you'd have to keep a close eye on the weather. There are some charters to Tortugas out of Key west that are live aboard. I've not done one, and don't know what size they are, how many they hold, etc., but my understanding is larger than a 40' boat.

Fuel costs are really killing boats which may pay well over $5 a gallon for diesel. Then there are a ton of start up costs which you will need to eat at least in the short term assuming you could make this all work.

I would guess that if there were good bucks to be made running multi-day charters out of the Keys that folks would be doing it. Since so much is right there to dive so close to the islands, I'm betting live aboard's are not all that attractive vs. just going out daily.

IMO the best way to learn how to run a Dive Op is to work for a Dive Op. Maybe not your style, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was not so set with my lifestyle, and have a family to consider.

There's also the R/V Tiburon.

They go to both the Bahamas and the Tortugas.

have you or anyone you know been on them?

I've heard of them and seen their website before, but not much info or trip reports on them that I've seen.

The reason I ask is because I am planning to buy a lot near Key West soon and I am also looking for a 30-34' express cruiser. I was contemplating starting a company that could do 1-4 day trips around the Keys/Tortugas. I was also planning on Cay Sal but I wasn't aware of the issue with the Bahamian Gov.

I think there's a market for smaller groups to the Tortugas, but if you can substain your operation week-to-week on smaller groups for the same price is the question....

Back to the Bahamian Government issue, as far as I know you'd be required to clear customs on one of the Bahamian islands before going to Cay Sal. I think that a lot of the boats do it in Bimini as it's the closest from the Florida Atlantic coast depature points. (not 100% sure though). From Key West that would be just crazy to make that much of a side trip to clear Bahamian customs... but check into it... maybe I'm wrong.

You'd also want to check to see what the fee for clearing customs is. I think it's still $300/boat still (non overtime). So that adds a lot of expense to your customers if you're only taking small groups of 2-4 people.

Good luck though. :)

have you or anyone you know been on them?

I've heard of them and seen their website before, but not much info or trip reports on them that I've seen.

Yes, I've known a few folks that have been out with them. The reviews were somewhat mixed on the boat itself (apparently very crowded with 10 onboard, much better with just six) and good reviews on the crew. FWIW, they advertise up to 12 guests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom