Which liveaboard would you pick in PNG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking of going to PNG. Interested in big animals and big schools, but also teeming reefs. :)

Which liveaboard would you pick?

Thanks for the input.

Thinking of going to PNG. Interested in big animals and big schools, but also teeming reefs. :)

Which liveaboard would you pick?

Thanks for the input.

A run doing Fathers Reef and the Witus out of Walindi in Kimbe on either the Febrina or Stardancer is great and you get a bit of everything at these locations,
Alternatively Golden Dawn when she does some of her Ninigo and Hermit Islands trips or her trip out to Eastern Field and Portlock reef would also suit.

I've been aboard Febrina and have used the StarDancer for a 7 day liveaboard trip. If I had to choose between those two it would definitely be StarDancer again. Febrina was okay, smaller, less windows if you are in your cabin, still, if I could go back again I would take any liveaboard in that area. It was the most biodiversity I've ever seen.
File0399.jpg

File0391.jpg

File0372.jpg

File0364.jpg
File0363.jpg

Actually that was the point of my question, Caymaniac. As there are a couple of locations to go out from, thought I would consult the board. Beautiful shots by the way and you caught the shark in an interesting expression and light. Thanks

Shasta Man-
Haven't been on the board in a while. If you can, I would dive Golden Dawn in the Eastern Fields. My wife and I were on her last November, unfortunately during the earliest cyclone (GUBA) to hit the region in over 20 years. That being said, the diving I did was the best I have experienced (from NorCal to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Turks&Caicos, Hawaii, Palau, Vietnam, Red Sea). You can sheck out some highlights of our time on our blog - h-t-t-p://jacquieandlloyd.travellerspoint.com/co/161/
I would suggest if you were serious to contact Craig on the Dawn soon - I think this is his last year, and he will be selling his operation off to take over a privately funded research vessel.
Best- Lloyd

Hi Shasta Man!

For what you want, the Walindi - Fathers - Witus itinerary is the best option and probably the best in PNG. It covers everything, huge fish and sharks, macro and muck diving, to some of the healthiest coral reefs in the world.

Both Star Dancer and FeBrina are based at Walindi. Star Dancer tends to attract more Americans while FeBrina has more Australians and Europeans. FeBrina is smaller but it also means less people she takes 12, whereas star Dancer takes 16.

Hope this helps!

Actually that was the point of my question, Caymaniac. As there are a couple of locations to go out from, thought I would consult the board. Beautiful shots by the way and you caught the shark in an interesting expression and light. Thanks

Our choice was staying in Cairns for 1, at Walindi 1 night then StarDancer for 7 to Fathers and Witu's, then Walindi for 2 nights then Loloata for 2. Then on to Cairns for 1, then to Hawaii (great place to stop as it's about half way back) for a rest of 4 then back home.
File0396.jpg

PNG090.jpg

pipefish.jpg
File00224copy.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

PNG048.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom