Puerto Galera next March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

I'm going on a diving trip for 3 weeks in march 2009 at Puerto Galera. Can someone tell me what's the water temperature around that time of the years? I currently have a 7mm wet suit and I don't know if I should get a 3mm, a 5mm or stick with my 7mm.

thanks

Hi!

I'm going on a diving trip for 3 weeks in march 2009 at Puerto Galera. Can someone tell me what's the water temperature around that time of the years? I currently have a 7mm wet suit and I don't know if I should get a 3mm, a 5mm or stick with my 7mm.

thanks
PG in march?! water will be absolutely perfect!

i would dive that time of year in a rash guard and shorts... at worst a .5mm :biggrin:

since you're on for 3 weeks a 3mm full would be best... but since it appears you're fairly used to cold water diving, a 3mm shorty wouldn't be bad either

Jag

PS
water temp: 28C-32C depending on how el nino we'll get next year

yep, I dove PG at the end of march and was wearing only a rashguard and beach shorts. Unfortunately I didn't record or remember the temp off my computer, which probably means it wasn't cold enough for me to take notice.

since it appears you're fairly used to cold water diving,

You have no idea how I'm used to cold water. Last winter, I did a 45 minuts dive at 33-34F(that's 1-2C), in a wet suit.

I was asking that question because I think My 7mm will be really to hot, but I want to maximize the usefulness of another wetsuit. I can dive in 5mm around home.
That's why I wouldn't go with a shorty. moreover, I don't want to touch something that rather not be touch with my bare leg.

Is there a web site with the water temp of Puerto Galera?

You'll probably be fine with a 5mm if you have one. If you only have a 7mm, maybe just buy a 3mm if you want to protect yourself. If you plan on making return trips to tropical destinations, it'll be a good investment. FWIW, during that time of year, I already find a 3mm hot enough.

Not sure about websites for puerto galera, try PAGASA - DOST - DOST SERVICE INSTITUTES . But Jag is right to expect the temp to be around 28C - 32C during that time of year.

Hope that helps.

When you dive in the PI you dive with your street clothes.....water is always nice. Many times I roll off the boat in my shorts and T-shirt......paradise is alway warm and beautiful.

coldest water gets here is probably 24-25C around january to early march. i think 5mm will be too warm and buoyant unless you intend to do night dives of around 90 minutes to take pictures.

I was there in April this year, recorded 29 Deg C water temp for most dives, hardly any thermocline either and a 3mm shorty was fine, although I did see others just diving with swimming shorts and vests.

hmm cant wait to get back there - hoping for a few days this December!

I'm heading there in Feb. (that is the coldest water temp month). I just got a 3 m shorty. I usually dive with just a wet suit top at 79 to 80 degrees and t shirt and shorts if over 82 but I find extended diving at much under 80 I start to get chilled hence the 3 mill. Of course I always wear the rash guard. I've done quite a bit of research and it looks like 77 is about as cold as it is likely to get. Neener neener, I will get there first :)

.........see, paradise is always beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom