Removing Padding on the Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hubert

Registered
Reaction score
Marina Del Rey half year, Paris France other half
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am thinking of trying to remove the ``Lumbar support backpad and padded waist band'' on my transpac. There are several reasons for this - mostly that I dive with a thick drysuit and feel I have enough padding already. Plus, I want to remove buoyant items, and make more room on my belt. Before I try however, I was wondering who had before me, and what the conclusions were.

So, thanks for sharing your experience!

Hubert

Hello all,

I am thinking of trying to remove the ``Lumbar support backpad and padded waist band'' on my transpac. There are several reasons for this - mostly that I dive with a thick drysuit and feel I have enough padding already. Plus, I want to remove buoyant items, and make more room on my belt. Before I try however, I was wondering who had before me, and what the conclusions were.

So, thanks for sharing your experience!

Hubert

Hi Hubert,

Thanks for your question. Feel free to remove the lumbar pad if you find this more comfortable. They are designed to be easily removed and this is part of the TransPac modularity, that allows you to adjust the harness to your liking.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.

Best,
Ag

Hi Hubert,

Thanks for your question. Feel free to remove the lumbar pad if you find this more comfortable. They are designed to be easily removed and this is part of the TransPac modularity, that allows you to adjust the harness to your liking.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.

Best,
Ag

Hi, in relation to this topic, I'm considering buying the transpac harness, but it says in your website that its not advisable to attach a backplate to the harness. Is there a reson for this? I'm planning on attaching a 6lb backplate to it instead of buying a weight system for the transpac. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, in relation to this topic, I'm considering buying the transpac harness, but it says in your website that its not advisable to attach a backplate to the harness. Is there a reson for this? I'm planning on attaching a 6lb backplate to it instead of buying a weight system for the transpac. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

There are a number of grommets down the center of the transpac which you could use to attach it to any number of things. But why would you want to attach it to a SS plate when the transplate harness (Dive Rite TransPlate Harness) appears to do the same thing at much less cost?

Hi Jalanc,

Theoretically there is no reason why you can't add a backplate to the TransPac, but the product was not designed for that purpose. The only way to secure the backplate to the TransPac is with bolts, the backplate can't thread through any webbing and this does not make the rig as secure as a proper backplate harness. Also, if you are using twin tanks, you must have blots that are long enough to reach all the way through what by this stage has becomes a rather bulky unit. Further, you won't be able to use the lumbar pad in that configuration, the modification might effect your comfort and limit your ability to take advantage of various features of the TransPac.

Divers who desired the comfort of the TransPac but needed the extra weight that a backplate can offer didn't have many options in the past and modified the gear to suit their needs. As a direct result we developed the Transplate - a product specifically designed to accommodate those needs.
http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/backplates/harnesses/t3200

If you have any other questions you can always contact us, we're happy to help.

Best,
Ag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom