DR 500 Lumen LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjayjarrett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Purchased this light a few weeks ago for my week long live aboard trip. Love the light, great coverage and duration. Fantastic form fucntion. One problem though, each time I took out the battery carriage to recharge the batteries i noticed a very small amount of water inside. i was very suprised, i made sure it was completely dried off and both the o-rings were in place and the threads were well coated in silicone. Is there a known leakage issue with this light? I was a bit disappointed for a ~$400 light

If you look at where the o-rings are in relation to threads of the battery can/body you will see that the threads are outside of the sealed body. You say a small amount of water; are we talking droplets?? That is coming out of the threads and is no issue.

Jerry

yes just a few small drops from what I recall. ok thanks, I will not worry about it - i will just keep an eye on it on my next dive to make sure it was only a few small drops

Whenever you open an underwater-electronic device, make sure you hold it so the open end is facing DOWN. In other words, you should orient your light so the battery-pack is at the top and the cord-end is at the bottom – this minimizes the chance of that stray droplet of water getting 'up' into the battery-pack.

Did that make sense? If not, think about it for a minute. Why open a device so the water droplets that are caught around the threads and the o-rings can drip down into the expensive goodies, when all you need to do is tip it over and allow the drops to run out and over the o-rings and then off.

Your night-diver instructor shoulda told you this trick with lights.

mine has the same thing but I am almost certain it is from the threads and that no water is in fact entering the light body, well not that I can tell anyway. I too am keeping an eye on it.

By the way DR how frequently should the O rings be replaced?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom