Suggestions for place to stay on Oahu in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We'll be going to Oahu in January for about a week just to dive. Island Divers again since they are the DIR friendly shop in town and let us do our own thing last time.

But last time we went we stayed at this horrible hotel called the Waikiki Gateway. Actually it wasn't horrible but it was about as cheap as I ever want to get in a hotel :D.

I don't mind older places but I want to avoid a hotel that is dirty or falling apart, and bugs in the rooms. I also want to keep the price around $110 or less. I was thinking about a B&B in the Hawaii Kai area since that's where the boat departs from. Or maybe the Royal Grove. But that looks a little like the Gateway in condition.

Any suggestions? The Hale Koa is booked so I can't get into that even if I wanted to at this point. But I might as for a referral to another nearby hotel.
I am also seriously considering the Aqua Palms and Spa since I found a killer deal on oahu.us.

With a B&B I would need to rent a car but with a hotel in Waikiki I wouldn't so that would save money I suppose.

Any ideas? I'm really not picky for these short winter getaways. I just would like something that is nice and relaxing--and not expensive.

If you are military try calling ITT 473-0792 or 422-2757, they have some good deals now and then. Also there are the cottages at Bellows. The Aqua Palms is somewhat better than Gateway. Also try looking at the Ala Moana Hotel.

Bellows is too far out of the way. ITT is a good idea. I will try them as well.
The Gateway was falling apart when we were there 2 1/2 years ago. The pictures of the Aqua Palms looks a lot better than that--but I know how deceiving those photos are.

Is Ala Moana nicer?

Some rooms at Ala Moana are nicer than others. Some are also time shares. Aqua Palms is newly renovated I believe. Friend stayed there a couple weeks ago and said it was nice.

Thanks. Have you heard anything about the Aqua Wave?

Ok, I've decided on the Aqua Waikiki Wave. If anybody has anything really bad to say about this hotel please speak up now :)

Skip the Waikiki madness and find a B&B or a "temporary vacation rental unit" outside the city -- my inlaws have been using them for the past year. Most places you'll get at least a studio apartment with parking. The Rainbow Inn in Pearl City has a pool and a view of Pearl Harbor. On their most recent visit, they just finished a week at a place called Haleiwa Surf -- walking distance to Haleiwa Harbor, on the beach (well, obscured by another building, but close enough), etc. etc.

Google for vacation rentals...

I stayed at the Aqua Wave last year, and it was pretty decent. I read some reviews on tripadvisor.com that the lower floors can get more of the street noise, so the daily 6am-ish garbage trucks, and the club (and it's small crowd) half a block away can be a bother for some. I paid (literally) a few bucks more for a room on a higher floor, and it was quite decent. I used the AAA rate and it was about $110-115 a night if I recall. I never heard a garbage truck (or I just slept through it), and I could hear the club only if I stood out on the lanai. It seems like an older building, but they've recently remodeled it (though not quite as snazzy as the web site pics, but pretty close). Only downside I suppose was the bathroom was a tad small, but that didn't bother me.

FWIW, I'm planning to stay there again this year.

Thanks for the feedback BSOD. I did reserve a deluxe room which means it's on the upper floors. Price was about $116 plus taxes so it totals out to be $130 per night. Best price I could find for a 3 1/2 star hotel with good reviews :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom